Turbo choice - help me decide!!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by ourkid, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ourkid Forum Member

I have couple of hardly used turbo's GT1749VB (with integrated manifolds).Really clean with no wear,from a PD 150

Trouble is,as tempting as it sounds,i'm unsure about whether to fit one to my Tdi.

I'm building a 90hp AHU at the moment,with 110 injectors and chipped ECU.To fit the larger turbo would mean a complete change in direction but now that the engine is out,it's probably the best time to do it.I understand that the rear engine mount would need modding,ECU remapped again,bigger nozzles etc (MORE COST),but will the benefits make it worthwhile?

I'm not after balls out top end power and the car will be eventually a daily driver so i don't need reliability issues but on the other hand,will i regret doing it now[:^(]

Would i lose low down performance,could my 100,000 mile motor (and my VR6 clutch) handle it?

I'm also looking at the easier option of a Hybrid K03/K04 - so if you have a good one and fancy a swap,let me know!

Feedback appreciated.

Ade.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

the clutch and engine should be able to cope, the turbo will still act the same due to the system being controlled by the MAP sensor feeding back to the ECU
    you'd get a slightly different feel to the boost kicking in.
    the bigger injectors would help the turbo spin a bit more/ less laggy, which isn't a issue on these units

only issue i see is weather your control over your turbo I'm not sure weather the turbos controller by vacuum on your engine via the N75 valve, or a positive pressure from the turbo as i think it might be [:s]