Turbo Lag

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Gazz-, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Gazz- Forum Member

Evening peeps,

I had a little accident in my beloved Mk3 GTI golf ([:^(]) and its been written off. I'm looking at buying a Golf Mk4 GT TDI either 130 or 150... ok so you know what I'm going to ask next...

I really want the 150 but I'm starting to get put off by what I'm reading about the delay in the turbo so I'm thinking should I get a 150, I'm not really fussed about remapping it later but I may do this.

So... people who drive a 150 and have driven a 130 is it a case of you get used to the lag and adjust how you drive or is it frustrating?

Also, is it possible to reduce the lag or is it hardware dependant so you can't do anything about it.

I would appreciate any advice [:D]

Cheers,

Gazz

P.S. Apologies if this should be in the turbo thread, Mod, feel free to move.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Dubnutter Forum Member

iv driven both the 150 and the 130 and the 110 for audi (same engine), and the lag at 150 is not that noticable, and is slightly better with better diesel ie shell or bp etc.

But i convinced a freind to have his 150 chipped and that made a huge difference to the lag time, and made it go like a cat on steroids.

I think the bhp only increased to 175-180 ish, but the torque increase was huge, and it pulled in 6th like a train!!!

3. Gazz- Forum Member

Great stuff, just what I wanted to hear. May have to reconsider the chipping ;)

Cheers,

Gazz

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

seriously. just drive them yourself.

i used to have a pd130. that thing had zero lag after one or two tweaks haha