Turbo parts... Good buy or waste of money????

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by grry, Jul 1, 2011.

1. grry Forum Member

A car trader round the corner for my body shop took a Saab 9000 cse 2.3 turbo in as a part ex and was going to scrap it, so as i sold my knock off garrett t3/4 and need a turbo thought I would ask about the Saab one

Had a bit of a chat with the trader and a deal was sorted

I managed to get a few other parts too

- T25 turbo + boost pipes

- oil cooler, radiator and intercooler

- red top injectors and fuel rail

- turbo manifold (won't need but can be dropped off at the fabricators for a flange pattern)

All for 50

Planning to get about 300bhp from my ABF mk2 golf

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You wont get 300 hp out of that but its very good value.

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

eye the saab only makes about 170 brake from 2.3
    but for 50 you cant go wrong

4. grry Forum Member

Hmmmm what should I be looking at getting to hit about 270'ish then?

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You should be looking at doing some research to find out the type of drive feel you want. 270hp is just a number it doesn't represent how It will be delivered.

6. grry Forum Member

Ah I've been reading alot about turbo conversions and never thought about power delivery

Any pointers to get me started? I'm not very clued up on the technical side of things but just know how a turbo works and how they give you boost

I was reading up about the air flow of turbos but I've not read alot YET

7. nass Forum Member

Another one who hasn't done the research google is your friend, don't be scared there is poop loads of information on the net

Nas

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Look at my thread I have ~250-260ftlbs of torque @4k and it pulls very well, and gives a similar feel to the original engine, but with a much bigger kick in the mid range.
    Depending how much and where the torque peaks in the rev range, will determine how it feels. Small turbos won't give big hp numbers, but will make low to mid range response very good. Big hp numbers, usually mean bigger turbos and more laggy response, you need to choose carefully to give you the output you need. According to what the car is used for.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  9. grry Forum Member

Not doen any research eh! I've done nothing but for months I obviously dont know anything about power delivery, thought you could get away with doing the conversion, get the standalone management maped and that was it, also figured the tuning company would set the car up to what they would think was best as there the professionals in the game!! Got nothing worth saying don't say any thing at all and go waist ya time els where

10. grry Forum Member

Thanks for the help tshirt2k, I have read yours and a few other turbo build threads on this forum and alot of threads from other forums

Looks like I have to go away do a bit more research

Thanks again