Turbo re-builder issues

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Finite, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Would you send a turbo back to a company for a second time?
    • The first time they neglected to repair a thread on the turbine housing despite a prompt before payment/dispatch.
    • It came back with two threads HeliCoiled which makes me think they drilled the wrong hole in a rush and more apparent hand fettled sanding of the manifold mounting face in various directions. Messy orange tamper paint as it was bagged wet
    • The manifold mounting face curves down to the edges now and is no longer flat square or true.
    • The blank plug hasn't been fitted which is hampered by the actuator bracket. The blank plug can't be fully torqued with a ball end.
    • I've tried to fit the coolant feed, but the compressor housing is out of alignment for the bracket hole by 6mm.
    • Before pictures show that both housings are rotated on the replacement Melett CHRA (if it is one that is).

2. Finite

I don't know what's up with this as a topic, but I took it to Turbo Technics for a second opinion. Clearly I should of gone there first.

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yeah. I would have definitely sent it back/requested partial refund

4. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah I'd give them a second chance. That does sound like quite the list, and obviously it shouldn't happen, but if they're willing to rectify it or give you some money back then it shows they're decent. If they don't want to help then 100% go elsewhere

5. Finite

Cheers it's going back tomorrow. They do seem keen to sort it, but I don't have much faith as more issues were found at TT and it seems they don't use jigs for assembly so I will have to send my coolant pipe.

54221.jpg 54510.jpg

6. Finite

Annnddd... that's a no. Whilst the linishing is all in one direction now the ridge still exists. I'm going to miss a weather window tomorrow for fitting it now. Plus when I sell it I'll have to say the turbo has done 1000 miles more than the car.

7. Finite

This still rumbles on. I now have the option of a new unbranded turbine housing or refund and spend 62% more on a 100% brand new Turbo Technics OEM+ spec off the shelf. In which case I really ought to replace the oil feed line £108 TPS or £47 JP Group. At this stage oil pressure is unknown :o

Decisions, decisions [:s] [xx(]