Turbo Technics 16V Conversion

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by powerhand, Feb 23, 2012.

1. powerhand Forum Member

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Moved to here so it can be discussed, Great advert:lol:

3. jonlikescad Forum Member

I heard that Stealth/Storm (i get them confused) still service one of the original conversions and it's still going strong!

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Want! Might have to put a cheeky bid on

5. Admin Guest

I know Chris who's selling this he's a sound chap and always seems to find GTi Engineering bits and rare engines the lucky fellow.

6. geeteethree Forum Member

Great find, and a bargain for somebody; manifold, downpipe and low-comp block have to be worth that alone. No fuelling parts evident (they'd be largely redundant now anyway), but the Stealth cars (quoted at 190hp for KR) came with a fifth injector into the inlet manifold elbow, and later a 8 injector system. Whether the ecu advance maps (if that's the right term) have been altered , unsure.

The flexi pipe from the metering head to the turbo tends to perforate and cause issues. The charge pipes run down from the turbo, around the sump, up through the pace intercooler (placed in front of the alternator) to the throttle; at a guess it's over 6ft.

I remember back in about 1997/8 GTI festival at Curborough, I took my GTi ( my dad's at the time, still 1.8 and fifth injector) up the drag strip. Didn't record a stonking time (15ish) as it was wet, but do recall the huge BANG halfway up the strip as I switched to low-boost and dumped the unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Genuinely thought I'd blown it up [8(]

7. powerhand Forum Member

I agree - Chris is a lovely guy and always very enthusiastic about the cars he's working on...and he does seem to find these rare bits quite regularly! :clap:

8. 16v185 Forum Member

Do have a look at the question some t**T has asked!...you couldn't write it!!!

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Haha, Great reply!

10. sicklyorange Forum Member

Anyone any idea what the mpg would be like. The thing I love about my daily 16v is that it will give 30+mpg all day (calculated, not mfa) and up to 40 on a long run. Wonder what price it would go up to - I'm keeping an eye on it...

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If the conversion is mapped properly and driven sensibly, 30mpg by MFA or by calculation should not be an issue.

12. 16v185 Forum Member

119 watchers!!...some nutter calling at 2am..to ask "is the technics still for sale...Man"...still it go's to prove even dope smoking hippies like a turbo. 'Sort of wishing there might be some 'little honey..dirty dirty slut' who'd just do anything to own the kit.....MMmmm...she could call at 2 in the morning & bring her twin sister with her....sorry got a bit carried away.....mmm

13. trig

trig Forum Member

If only I'd of seen this before it ended! I woulda been at it like a dog on the vicars leg. Show them you don't need a modern 1.8T to get some oomph!

14. danTbone Forum Member

ha ha ha , i have one of them sluts calling with her twin too , think might sell them on ebay :lol: