Turbo upgrade on 98 non pd 90 bhp golf tdi

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by dtmwelburn, Oct 4, 2010.

1. dtmwelburn Forum Member

Hi all golf fanatics, i recently got myself a 98 mk4 non pd 90bhp golf se, ive already done some basic mods, induction kit, tuning box, exhaust, but fancy uprating the turbo on it, do i need a specific turbo or should i buy a hybrid turbo or can any turbo be customised to fit and work? Im looking at uprating suspension and fitting a decar pipe abd the turbo before remapping, all advice is welcome thanks dan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  2. aidanb22 Forum Member

Early mk4 90s may have a wastegate or VNT turbo, you need to find out which one you have first. There will be a serial number on the compressor housing, and it'll probably be GT15, but maybe VNT15, GT1549V something like that.

Either turbo will give you 140ish bhp though (compared to the 110-115ish you are at now), so it depends how far you want to go.

3. dtmwelburn Forum Member

Thanks for the reply mate to be honest i want to go as far as i can without risking damage, id like to fit a front mounted intercooler and as i say remap but im gonna have to look into what type of turbo i have, will it be visible from top of engine bay? Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  4. aidanb22 Forum Member

No, unfortunately it is really awkward!
    If you take the plastic engine cover off, then you'll see the inlet manifold at the back of the engine?
    Well the turbo is under that, and the part you need to see towards the drivers side. You have to start removing parts to see it!
    There are other signs, the angle of the actuator in relation to the turbo, and the shape of the downpipe where it mates to the turbo.

If you can, get a good photo of any of these parts. Might need to go under the car and look up.
    Worth getting familiar with it anyway, if anything it'll probably put you off changing anything.

Remap is essential, no way round that. FMIC is optional. Binning the tuning box is also essential.

5. dtmwelburn Forum Member

How do you mean the tuning box actually works i was even surprised at being able to feel the difference, ill have a good look and see if i can find it, i am currently training as a mechanic so it will be good practice cheers, dan

6. aidanb22 Forum Member

I know they work, but they are a crude way of getting more power. The remap which you have to get anyway will do the same job but properly and it will be cleaner, you can't put the tuning box on aswell as it will just overfuel.

I would say just be happy with the turbo you have got really. Remap it with some higher flow nozzles and be done with it. Upgrading the turbo may well need to clutch needing replacing, and they aren't particularly cheap.
    See if you can get a drive in a standard PD130, that'll be near enough what yours could be like on stock turbo.

7. dtmwelburn Forum Member

Hi again, the thing that got me wanting to tune this motor was the fact i test drove a mk5 gt tdi 170bhp and was completely blown away so im hoping to gain that sort of performance, i am about to purchase a front mount intercooler at about 150quid and will get some larger injector nozzles and then a remap but not sure if this will be enough to reach that performance thanks dan

8. m1keh Forum Member

To get to 170 your going to need a bigger turbo. PD130 or 150 turbos should get you there I think. Probably better with the 150. custom downpipe, Intercooler and piping, bigger nozzles and then a custom remap to suit it all. It will soon add up and will probably cost more to insure than the equivalent pd130 with a remap.