turbo

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by stever, Oct 26, 2006.

1. stever New Member

i have just got a passat 130 tdi as a company car and was woudeing if any one can tell me how to tweek the boost screw for more power as it is a work car i dont give a **** if it can break it as it will just go to vw to get fixed:lol:

2. Seraph Banned

err, what boost screw!

You can remap it, or even change the charge valve, but no boost screw!

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

get the mesh out of the MAF, provided its the same as the A4 pd130 engines, you will gain power.

as for the turbo, they are VTN (variable turbo nozzle geometry)... they do have an actuator for the blades and im sure that you can unwind them a bit.

ive not had a passat before... is the lump longitudinal? on the a4 it was easy to inspect the actuator.

thing is though, it has a clever computer. when you put your foot down it will have an "expected boost" and then will read an "actual boost" if they are different for too long it goes into limp.

so prolly not worth it

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

also, mod the wheel arch lining behind the intercooler to allow air to flow through it. thats worthwhile too

5. stever New Member

i shoud of realy said tell me a way to get more power for free

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

do the above really. i used to stick Millers diesel additive stuff in mine, but this was about a year or more ago... cant really remember if it was noticably quicker, but i remember being happy with it and buying more

7. Seraph Banned

found the mesh modification on tdi.com finally.

Seems to be a somewhat mixed opinion on whether it is advisible or helps!.

Seems the actuator procedure is complicated too, requiring vaccum guage for starters. Prob not for the layperson to fiddle with.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i can not see at all what may be complicated about removing the mesh, unless you have no faith at all in your air filter lol

the meshes can be taken out whole, so therefore can be replaced in whole, if you find that it somehow is a detriment to your engine.

maybe higher mpg might put some people off? lol mine did 20k miles (in the 2001 audi i had) and 10k in the 2003 car. i didnt need to chip them after that due to them being quicker.

was on an A4 though, so might be more technical on a golf

9. Seraph Banned

dunno, tdi.com seems to suggest mixed feelings about how wise it is, with some of the threads talking about complicated air turbulence and like!

Just cant help but feel this might be more of an 'anecdoetal' mod not unlike the infamous n75 mod. However, could be wrong still!.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what mods could be done to the n75.... jeez, the fun i had with those

11. Seraph Banned

a 'certain' community are of the opinion that fitting the TT n75(j) gives them more power!
    However, many content, that this is simply a smoothing of boost delivery or similar.

Not totally convinced, but sure not wasting money to find out on a whim!

12. DarrenE Forum Member

From what I can gather, the j valve holds the boost better, if your boost level is quite high then when the original valve reaches its limits, it stays open. I have one on mine and it also seems to give a smoother boost delivery.

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it was hard enough to get the normal one to work normal when they went wrong lol

another thing that caused lots of trouble was the egr valve. one of them made my car run so badly that it left soot tracks on the ground.

14. oak8vgti Forum Member

do you mean vvt = variable vain turbo

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

or vgt... variable geometry turbo