Twin 40 carbs on Mk2 Golf?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Cazzzooom, May 6, 2006.

1. Cazzzooom Forum Member

I own a Mk2 Golf 1.8 Driver and I've been told recently that it is possible to put twin 40 carbs on it and that they would make my car stupendously fast, easily faster than a 16V GTI?
    I'm looking at the possibility in a year or so to try this out however I have a few doubts and queeries.
    Of course money is an issue and therfore I should like to do it as cost effective as possible.
    I have been wondering weather it would be better to do this with my current car or perhaps get a GTI and do it with this. I understand that some largish changes would need to be done on an injection as it is substantially different to a carbed engine, what are your thoughts?

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

getting 60-70bhp from just wacking some carbs on a standard driver engine is very very unlikley!!!

you will have clearence issues with the bulk head, and air flow to them will be toss as they are point in the wrong way, you need a xflow engine like the 16v KR lump from the gti,

probably better cutting your losses and buying a gti!

3. Fenn Forum Member

twin carbs are ok if to like getting 20mpg! it will cost upwards of 500 to get them up and running half decent. the gti engine would respond better to carbs but imo isn't worth converting and injection car to carbs unless you really want and plan to keep the car for a while.

4. Cazzzooom Forum Member

Yeah, I was fairly doubtful about it all. I spent a few hours looking around on the web for the various parts and they were really expensive brand new and even second hand they were'nt cheap! Also some of the parts like the manifold were really difficult to find even brand new. Besides which I think I'de be more than happy with 16V GTI! :)

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

problem solved!