Twin 40's on a 1.6 Driver?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Funkmaster, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Funkmaster Forum Member

Anyone done this? What sort of money would something like this require?

Just looking at some easy modifications... have looked at the different engine route, but as i have a Driver, im pretty limited unless I go out and get a mk2 gti to split aswell as the main donor car (such as a mk3 2.0 8v)...

Id consider fitting the 1.8 Driver lump in and chucking the webers on that if the difference would be that much...

Cheers!

2. mk21600ryder Forum Member

personally i wouldnt bother with the twin 40s and jst get a replacement weber carb gti cam and port polish n skim the head and a 4 branch or gti manifold as these are less restrictive. Im doing all this to mine at the minute and has only cost around 100 so far.

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

All new twin DCOE carbs, manifold, linkage, pump, regulator etc will cost 8-900 quid. It can be done for a lot less though with good used carbs (40's are easy enuff to get hold of but... BE CAREFULL !). You'd still need a new manifold though a pump and reg should be ok used if they're known items.

I've seen 2.0 8v's on a twin choke Weber replacement carb push out 130+hp, so you dont always need twin carbs for good road use power, sound good though. ;)

4. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Seen a 1.6cl on twin 40's before.
    Was putting out the same torque as an 8v gti.

5. prof Forum Addict

aye but for what it all costs, it'd be cheaper to fit/buy a 16v