twin 40s

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by pringle, Apr 11, 2004.

1. pringle New Member

can anyone tell me if they haave sucsesfully used twin 40 dellortos on a 8v 1.8 golf mk2 as i am going to attempt it and need to know if it is dificult

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

havent my self but,youll need to make a heatshield for the carbs,and would be wise to have the manifold wrapped as the carbs will sit above.
    not sure how u go on with clearance,may foul the bulk head/rain tray.
    not a hard job really,just a case of placing things,running pipes,and bolting up the manifold and carbs.

3. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Clearance from the brake servo will also be a problem.
    I know a lad in stoke who ran a 1.6cl on twin 40's and the carbs were very very close so on a gti servo they would be touching.

IMO
    You need to think about either a different brake setup or new beetle crossflow 8v head so you have plenty of room for the carbs at the front and the exhaust manifold at the back.
    Drawback with the new beetle cylinder head AFAIK is price of the twin carb manifold. (About 150 or 250 last time I checked)

4. pringle New Member

my car is actually a 1.3 with a 1.8 engine 1.6 top and god knows what else so i think it will have to be pray and hope that they fit and thanks about the heat shield i already guessed the heat from the exaust may heat up the carbs too much though

5. pringle New Member

my car has at moment 8v 1.8 with 1.6 head with stock carb some uprated exaust have not checked yet wich one, and uprated cam shaft dont know wich coil over kit suspension putting out 100bhp at wheel should be sweet if i get these carbs too fit

6. AEC303 Forum Member

Hey-ho, I'm "That lad from stoke".....

Yes, twin 40's will sit on a 1.8 (non GTI!) without a problem. Indeed you will need a heat shield for the exhaust manifold, but its only seriously needed if you have an original cast iron exhaust manifold. if you have a stainless manifold its not too much of a problem cos the heat dissipates more quickly, and heat isn't retained as long. The heat retention caused problems, cos it would boil the fuel in the carbs if I was standing still, not good. HTH.

7. pringle New Member

what is the diference between a non gti and gti is it just the brale servo

8. AEC303 Forum Member

indeed. Just cos there's discs at the back n so the servo has to be bigger.

9. pringle New Member

ok thanks alot i will tell you how i get on next week