twin carb power gain

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Liam, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Liam Forum Member

on a standard mk2 1.8 8v with gti cam, with just k&n panel filter, exhaust etc. what sort of power gain with be achieved with twin carbs? or does it have to be combined with something?

and how much do they cost? :)

2. prof Forum Addict

get a crossflow head or a 16v motor cheaper and better

3. Liam Forum Member

crossflow head - where from? :p

4. madmk4 Forum Member

Late beetle or maybe even golf 2.0 8v is your best bet.

Carbs... Expensive, little gain and a pig to setup properly.

I'd say, best, cheapest bet might be to put it on GTI K-JET, failing getting a valver in there...

5. madmk4 Forum Member

If you did put it on K-ket, then half on the engine swap to a 16v would already be done for you aswell, if you wanted t upgrade later on...

6. Liam Forum Member

not really interested in 16v or anything, just want to get 1.8 8v gti power from the 1.8 8v driver engine, pretty easy really, then eventually either a vr6 or 1.8T [:D]

7. Liam Forum Member

am i right in saying a 1.8 8v driver engine with gti cam, performance exhaust, k&n panel filter in drilled air box, with say a twin choke webber carb will have the same performance as a 8v gti? or more even :p

8. Nordoff Forum Junkie

If it's any help to you Adam from E1K has 8v gti torque from a 1.6 cl with twin webers and a gti cam.
    However his chokes are a bit small for the engine IMHO.
    Would be interesting to see what he could get with say a set of 34mm chokes and a gti cylinder head.
    I'm looking into using a new beetle cylinder head (crossflow) with a pair of twin 40 dellorto's for next year, should be interesting.

9. Liam Forum Member

gti head is same as the 1.6 minus the injection holes.

10. jsync Forum Member

Nope, 1.6 cl, gl, driver etc has 38mm inlet, 33mm exhaust (as does the 1.8 driver, gl), gti has 40mm inlet, 33mm exhaust
    Edited by: jsync

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

All seems a little daft...

I want GTI power from a non GTI engine.

So you live with the shorter stroke and lower CR and then have to find a way of getting GTI power...

So you end up with half a GTI engine with a fuel consumption 10 times worse than the engine you are trying to emulate...[:s]

Going past that, surley it's much more financially viable to fit a GTI engine?
    Edited by: Tubthumped

12. smithy Forum Member

The 1.8 8v Driver engine has the same compression ratio and stroke as the 1.8 8v GTi engine. The head is even the same spec as a K-Jet GTi bar the injector holes. Mine was originally a 1.8 Driver engine (90 horse), and is now fitted with a Twin choke Weber carb (cost me 40 quid), 8v GTi camshaft (20 quid), Digifant 4 into 2 manifold (got it for nothing), plus my own mild headwork and matched ports. Then I got it setup on a rolling road, check my dyno readout.

I would suspect that a standard 1.8 driver fitted with a GTi camshaft and Weber carb would make close to standard GTi power. Of course, this is only worth it if you can get the bits as cheap as I did, Weber carbs are around 250 quid new, you can get a complete GTi engine for that!