Twin Carbs on MK1?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by LUVMEMK1, Oct 3, 2005.

1. LUVMEMK1 New Member

Has anyone ever done, seen or heard of anyone putting 2 standard carbs on an 8V MK1? My MK1 is an 1800 carb fed.

Reason?

Stock carbs are a whole lot cheaper than sidedrafts or an MP9 conversion, and it should be a simple(ish) bolt-on mod possible at home.

I was thinking of putting them on the stock carb inlet manifold with an adaptor plate to mount them side by side.

I just replaced my L cam with a G cam and what an improvement, even with the stock twin choke carb.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Never heard of it being done, or heard of anyone making manifolds to suit.

on a downdraft carb, you've got a 90 degree bend into the manifold, so it's not really ideal for performance applications. this would be worse, if anything, in the setup you're suggesting.

With Weber / Dellorto sidedrafts you have more of a straight feed into the head, so better fuelling at high revs.

You can get manifolds for a single 40 DCOE on golf 8v heads...that might be a reasonable compromise for the road, especially if the manifold is cranked up away from the head of the exhaust, which can cause problems on 8v engines.

There's one for sale on the forum now, as it happens....

3. greg s Forum Member

I think it'd be a whole lot of work for no gain. For a start, building it onto
    a standard inlet manifold is going to give you horrible airflow.

4. LUVMEMK1 New Member

Point taken, if nobody has done there is a good reason. How do I get to "watch this topic" by email notifications, I only saw the replies today after logging in, is there a way the forum would automatically notify me of replies by email?

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i dont think you are able to do this, i think you can get it to notify you of PM's but not of posts on your threads,

tim

6. LUVMEMK1 New Member

Pity, maybe will be upgraded in future. Check out our local forum, www.vwclub.co.za if you post on any thread and get replies you get an email tellin you. I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Would sidedraft carbs work better than k-jet? There are loads of used k-jet heads and systems for sale here for next to nothing, I'd like to improve on my stock carb setup, and I'veread that sidedrafts can be fiddly to tune and thirsty.

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

just put a 16v lump in it ;)

cheap as chips [:D]

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

The eternal problem in putting twin carbs on an 8v is that they sit above the exhaust, and tend to get cooked. It's ok for competition work, if you heat wrap the exhaust manifold to keep the temperature down, but I wouldn't do it for road use, especially as you live somewhere hot.

If you can get a 16v engine then that's a X-flow head, so carbs are an option. For an 8v though, either fit injection to it (a lot of work, as you have to change the whole fuel system), or leave it standard.

There's a company in South Africa that a couple of guys on here have bought carb inlet manifolds from. I think they're called Rowland, or something like that.

9. LUVMEMK1 New Member

There are inlet manifolds available here to fit weber 40 DCOE sidies, but nothing I have seen to fit 2 downdraft carbs.

I'm in no rush to change engines until I blow up or wear out this one, or come into some spare cash to do the new engine and upgrade to EFI or turbo, but I need to sort the suspension and brakes before I do anything like that.

I can buy a used head, manifold and carb here for around 30 pounds to experiment with the twin carb setup.

I've been reading "Four Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Graham Bell,first published around 1981, he talks about fitting 2 xweber IDA carbs to an 1800engine, I know we've come a long way since the early 80s with EFI andITB and the like but I'm trying to stick within my limitations at the moment - bolt off and bolt on in a jiffy before the missus starts nagging for attention.

10. Admin Guest

seen a cross flow head on a 8v mk1, think it was from a beetle, it came from TSR any ways,

carbs on a 8v are not worth the effort in my opinion.

as for topic replies, can't do this any more as folk used to subscribe to the whole forum then it came bouncing back to the moderators email system, 300+ in one night [:x] [8(]