Tyre bulge. Councils fault?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Wombar, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Wombar Forum Member

Hi All,

Here's the story, the other day I was driving along in the rain and went through what I thought was a small puddle, unfortunately it turned out that this puddle was a big ass pothole.

I now have a small bulge in one of my tyres which I'm sure will get bigger unless it's sorted(which it's gonna have to be :thumbd: )

Firstly could going through a pot hole cause a tyre to bulge? Secondly could I claim off the council for the replacement tyre?

Well I don't want to sound like a sponging git because I'm not but I'm sick and tired of the state of the roads in my area, every 20 metres there's a pothole waiting to f**k my suspension.

What do you lot think?

2. mk1 ben Forum Member

note to self

dont drive in puddles :lol:

cant get nowt back mate they just come up with you should have avoided it if it was that big

3. Dubplate Forum Member

complain mate because at the end of the day you might not get any money for the damage but the council then might fill in the pot hole so as not to get any other complaints from anyone else.

4. Wombar Forum Member

When there's traffic on the other side of the road I'd rather drive through a puddle than into someone elses car ;)

My mates mum got some compensation when she knackered her suspension in a big ass pot hole so I guess that it's worth a try.

Was just wondering if anyone else had had any success with this kind of thing. I'll complain if only to get the pit covered up.

5. alby Forum Junkie

i know someone who got 1100 quid from the council for one fecked wheel.he kicked up a stink and said they couldnt be bought anymore and they shelled out for a replacement set.

6. edc1 Forum Member

AFAIK, you will only get any money out of them if they already have a complaint about that 'defect' and have failed to fix it.

7. nelly1980 Forum Member

if you can,go and take a photo of the pothole,and the road and your wheel/tire,
    write down all you can about the situation,like why you could not avoid it etc.
    the council will want proof of it,do all that and u may well be in luck!

go over bourd with the pics if need be ;)

good luck

thanx

nelly :p

8. mk3anniversary Forum Member

When you take a pic of the pot hole, put somehting in it, like a 50p piece, to compare the depth with, if u see what i mean.

9. Raider Forum Member

Do as above!! Otherwise you will complain and the council will be there quick smart and have it filled. I know how they work ;)

Worst case ive seen of a vehicle having damage due to dodgy roads was on Tuesday. Picked up work sheet for the day and it was to inspect/replace man hole cover blah blah. The night before a guy in a LHD Transit coming towards the manhole. They say half the lid was sticking up.... maybe so as the frame was loose in the road and the lid may of bounced... and at the moment all the pikeys are nicking all the manhole covers and gulley tops due to increased scrap value :lol: so chances are Mr Pikey couldnt lift it and left it sticking up. Anyway this manhole lid has ripped off the wishbone and strut off the Transit and spilt in fuel tank pretty much in 2 [8(]

Get all your evidence/proof then complain!!! I know of a local authority which spends a lot of money just filling in potholes each week ;) to avoid such complains etc etc.

10. Wombar Forum Member

Okay, cheers for the replies everyone.

I went down the tyre place today and left 70 worse off so I'm definitely going to try to get the compensation.

I also went down and took some pics with various things in the hole. First I tried a pencil but that didn't really look that good, I then found an empty fag packet on the side of the road which I stood in the hole.

Lets put it this way, the fag packet sat in the hole without sticking over the top which would make it around 4" deep I would guess.

Will post the pics when I have a minute.

[EDIT]

Well here they are, not very good to be honest, might take a trip down there tomorrow and get some better ones. They'll do for the moment tho.

Photos
    Edited by: Wombar

11. Raider Forum Member

I was expecting a crater :) If its knackered your tyre its worth a bash at claiming I guess.

12. Wombar Forum Member

The pictures aren't really that good, I've got some better pictures which I'll post, the depth is almost as wide as a CD. Will post them tonight or tomorrow. At the end of the day my other tyre which was put on at the same time and was in similar condition is fine, with loads of tread left.

They're gonna pay [:x] ;)

13. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I tried once claiming for bent alloy and I can`t remember exactly the wording of the reply but it was along the lines of as it had been reported prior to my driving down said mineshaft that I was due feck all????????
    I think they have every angle covered to avoid paying out at all costs.

14. Wombar Forum Member

I would have thought that was even worse Dave, if they knew about it then they should have fixed it.

Either way I'm just gonna keep bugging them because this is one of the worst potholes I've personally seen for depth.

I've posted up the better pics as well, the CD one seems to illustrate it the best. There's also a couple on there with a 50p in the hole, which you can barely see.
    Edited by: Wombar