Tyre help

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Peter, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Peter Forum Member

Over the weekend I have had tyres fitted to my BBS RAs for use during the winter months. On returning to my car on Monday evening I noticed that my tyre was very soft. Anyway I have just taken the wheel off and poured water over the rim and tyre and noticed that a large amount of air is escaping from the bead of the tyre on the backside of the rim (nearest the brake disc) it looks like the tyre has not been sealed properly against the rim. I have access to a tyre fitting machine which uses compressed air to break the seal between tyre and rim Is it simply a case of breaking the bead (seal between rim and tyre)of the tyre and re-inflating or will the whole tyre have to come off. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

The wheel may be corroded Pete - we have this orange paste type stuff at work called 'rim -seal' - remove the tyre, clean up the corroded rim with some sand-paper/wire brush , paint the rim seal on then refit the tyre.

You might get away with just removing the tyre and cleaning the rim up...

best of luck with it.

3. Peter Forum Member

Thanks Gary, I think that your right, when I come to think of it the rims were in a pretty bad way when I came to tarting them up, I only refurbed the face of the wheel, caught out by my own laziness. I'll take the rim and tyre up to ATS in the morning to sort it out, thanks again

Pete