tyre pressure for 18" monza wheels

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by petehgti, Mar 5, 2010.

1. petehgti New Member

does anybody know the tyre pressure for the mk5 gti monza wheels. they are an optional extra and so the info in the book is not correct as they are for the standard wheel

2. Mike Roberts Forum Member

I don't know what the factory says, but 34psi all round works fine for me.

I'd imagine an ED30's handbook/fuel flap would give the VW version though if you have the means to have a look, as they only came with 18"s.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Tyre pressures are pretty standardised really. Ive run 32-34psi in all my front tyres, no matter what size, make, tread pattern.

The only times ive ever run anything different is on the track with cut slicks.

4. Mike Roberts Forum Member

Agreed, I tend to run 32ish in the height of summer and 34 otherwise. Oh, and 30 on the track tyres.

5. NBirkitt Forum Member

tyre pressure is more a function of the weight

Basic Physics, but tyre pressure is more a function of the weight of the vehicle, rather than the size (width or diameter) of tyre, so for any larger or wider tyre you'd start off with exactly the same pressures as standard spec.

Only when heavily loading the vehicle do you need to add pressure to compensate, mostly at rear, where the extra load is, which is why the handbook will give separate figs for fully loaded which usually involves increasing rear pressure a lot...

Having said that, you can usually play up and down by 2-3 psi fromt standard spec depending on whether you want sharper handling or a softer ride

Tyre pressure changes anyway with temperature. I have a Tyresure tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on my Mk 4 GTI and on a typical 50-mile motorway journey the pressures will climb from standard 32 to 35/36 (as the tyres warm up) just in normal driving at 60-70 mph...