tyre pressures

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by copeidge, Oct 30, 2015.

1. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Hello, I've got a trackday booked at Blyton Park this coming Sunday and I'm just wondering about tyre pressures.

I'm running 195/50/15 Nankang NS-2R Semi Slicks in medium compound. My normal road pressure is 30psi in the front, 32psi rear
    I understand they will heat up over the course of a few laps and will rise in pressure. would this be a good pressure to run with initially and test?

Also it looks like there may be a chance of rain, so I assume I can lower the pressure to get a bigger footprint and more traction?
    in this case whats the safest 'lowest' pressure youd expect to run on track? maybe 25psi ish?

Any help appreciated :thumbup:

2. mk2redvr6 Forum Member

I mate
    With my track car mk2 I run 22 front and 36 rear and works really well .I was told this by a guy that runs in the gti championship
    Have you done blyton before
    Good fast track with a few tight bends

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Yeah I've done 4 laps in a DC5 teg, its a lovely track!

WoW! those pressures are not what I would expect! thanks for the advice
    I guess the higher pressures in the rear would help create a bit of initial over steer, which wouldn't be a bad thing in a mk2 without a rear ARB

Thanks

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

On a dry day with 888s or A048s, I tend to start off at 26 and monitor after few laps to ensure they are around 30ish.
    In the wet, I run the road rainsport 3s.

Enjoyed Blyton park, especially after some tips from Nige.

Adey likes this.
  5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I find keeping hot pressures around 28-30 psi when hot. Good starting point for me is 24 front and 26 rear cold and then monitor the pressure after each session.

Gurds

JTechPerformance likes this.
  6. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks lads this worked well! went with 27 front and 29 rear to start with, and after every session let a bit of pressure out to get a hot temp of 30 all round! good advice!! thanks

7. JTechPerformance Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

As per above from VW Singh!

Hot pressures are what you are aiming for.. 30 tops for the fronts, and whatever suits you for the rears to balance the handling.

vw_singh likes this.
  8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Run the outer 2 tyres at 1-2 psi less cold than the inner 2 and they will come up even. For 30 psi hot all round

FL 25 FR 26
    RL 26 RR 27

vw_singh likes this.