tyre pressures

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by vdubdriver, Feb 24, 2004.

1. vdubdriver Forum Member

hello ya'll

just fitted a new set of wheels to my car(pics will be up later) and wanting to know what pressures i should run them at???

The wheels are 195/45/16 on a 40mm lowered car not that its gonna make much difference! its a mk2 golf The old tyres were run on 1.8bar on the front and 2.0bar on the rear!!!

Another thing i noticed is when the car is on full lock the steering can start to feel kinda light almost as if im on ice!! The car hasnt got any power steering so is it over inflated tyres or a bush or sumthing loose???

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

A rough guide is to go up 2psi for every inch increase in rim size.

3. atkinss Forum Member

I get the same thing on mine. The wheels feel like their slipping side ways. Does anyone know what is causing it?

Cheers

4. vrooooom Forum Member

Could be the cambers all wrong with u having it lowered.

Not a cheap thing to get checked, unless u know someone who has access to the kit. Last time i lookd for full geometry check was about 100. (mind u that was a few years ago)

If you tyres are wearing evenly just live with it, how often are u going to use full lock??

5. ausgolfer Forum Member

I've been told for small cars such as a golf(small in Australia) that I should keep them between 34-36 psi. You could vary this from between 30 psi and 40 psi depending on what you feel is best for ride and performance.
    If you drive the car hard around corners keep them a little firmer as the tread will wear more evenly. If you kept them high and only drove straight then the centre of the tread would wear more quickly. Also keeping them at a higher pressure(above 36) it will make low speed maneuvers easier on the arms.
    As for your problem with the lightness, sorry I don't know what it is. I can only say that in my 89 GTi with out PAS I don't get that problem.