Tyre Wear

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Rippsy, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Rippsy Forum Member

Ok, to cut a long story short...

Having major niggles at the moment, and im definitly in the mood to find out whats wrong more then just fix what its breaking..

I disocvered today serious wear on the insides of my front tyres, my first thought was 'trackings out' but given the age of the car, and the service history I'd like to check ball joints etc...

If I took it to a Main Dealer, would they be able to put it on some sort of clever tyre thingy and check all the suspension and the tracking/camber/toein all at the same time, and would it cost me an arm and a leg?

Any helps great =)

Rippsy

2. Rippsy Forum Member

Oh c'mon =) Someone must know something? :p

3. nuttinnew Forum Member

I don't know if a main dealer could do this. I normally go to a local bodyshop as they do this when jigging cars.

4. Rippsy Forum Member

5. dooosuk Forum Member

The main dealer in Reading does tracking and camber. 1.5hr labour charge though (130). [:^(]

6. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Replace your knackered suspension.

Replace your bottom ball joints.

Take the car with all new stuff on to ABP in Shavington and pay 50quid to have tracking and camber set.

7. Rippsy Forum Member

Money not being in a the prime, you as a fellow student should know this ;)

You rekon its not worth getting new tyres until I fix sus/balljoints, get the tres put on then get my tracking/camber and the rest done?

ps: If you didn't notice the car behind you on you're way out of uni today tub =)

Laters Rippsy

8. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I saw your car today mate... was telling my mate about your mate and the fake tree as i saw it!

Anyway, you are asking what to do regarding your tyre problem -- what i said is the only answer really mate. If you don't do it then you will get new tyres and the same will happen again.

9. Rippsy Forum Member

Getting a set of new tyres on Saturday, putting my old rears on the front (let the knackered front setup trash those while I source time/money to fix the suspension/bottom ball joints.. hopefully all shall go well.

10. toXXin Forum Member

Aren't your tyres still legal?

I'm sure they're only dead when the 4 wear indicator grooves on the tyre are level with the surrounding rubber.

Ive driven withg tyres much worse than that without a problem.

11. Rippsy Forum Member

Probably but either way, it needs new tyres :p

You should hear the road noise at 60Mph, it sounds like there is no chassis between me and the road its horrendus :-(
    Edited by: Rippsy

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You have far more serious things to worry about than tyres.. [:s]

13. Rippsy Forum Member

What like my "oily patch"

Or my lovely boat suspension?

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Best bet is to get new or evenly worn tyres on the front before you get the camber and tracking sorted (after fitting new ball joints and track rod ends to be right), f**ked tyres may give you false readings when setting the camber?

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

If you`re really skint just get the toe set to zero for the time being, trackings only 20.

16. Rippsy Forum Member

Well, got new tyres on the front alloys (then put those on the back) Got the wheels from back put them on the front, got them all balanced and then had the tracking checked, and its smooth as hell upto 110mph (on a private road...)
    used to get juddery @ 80mph before.. so hopefully thats all good.

Going to do the shocks and Balljoints with my dad next weekend I think, then get some new rubber for the fronts as well.

Least thats the plan

Rippsy/Jon