Tyres and Brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Elliot8v, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Elliot8v Forum Member

Alright Guys?

Need some advise, looks like I need some new tyres for the front of my Golf8vGTi Freg, 14's.....Have firestone on at the mo and never again! Totally crap! No Grip in the wet!

Really want tyres which are good in the wet and dry, nothing to expensive though....suggests please

And....

Need some brakes aswell no pads, front only.....again nothing to expensive but average...suggests again pls

And where 2 get both of the items from??????

Cheers buds!
    [:D] :p

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

pagid pads from gsf are good and a good price

tyres...something like a toyo??

3. Elliot8v Forum Member

Cheers,

Dont needs pads, just discs!

Want to gwet tyres on net this a safe option, anyone done this before?

4. MrBen Forum Junkie

Have bought tyres from mytyres.net in the past- no problems. Only thing- factor in the cost of getting the tyres mounted and balanced when looking at the prices.

5. Golfvr6 Forum Member

I tried the pagid pads a couple of years back , they were good, but they only lasted a year.

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

zimmerman or ate discs..gsf or ecp sell em

7. prof Forum Addict

goodyear eagle F1s are the best Road tyres i have used yet

8. Drew21 Forum Member

I've just fitted F1s and haven't driven anywhere yet so can't comment, just thought I'd mention it though as they look very....purposeful :p

just fitted standard gti vented discs too, again no use to you as you have a gti with vented discs already
    ah well

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

damn...i need some f1's. these michelin sport thingy's are useless in the current conditions, they're way too hard. wheelspins in most gears! pulled out to overtake the other day and when i booted it, it just spiun the wheel and tried to torque steer me into them!

10. Golden Forum Junkie

I'm currently running a set of these, the wet weather performance is excellent as is the dry weather grip, they're not the cheapest but then tyres are the most important safety/performance item. They also stand up well to trackday abuse :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. GTi_8v Forum Member

Just had some Eagle Venturas fitted to my '89 8v (185/60/14 on GTI steelies!!!!!) and am very chuffed. Don't think they're quite up to F1 standard, but think that's reflected in the price.

I know i'm driving a bit more reservedly at the moment cos they're new and i'm trying to make sure they last, but even pushing it a bit there's not much wheelspinning going on!

12. Elliot8v Forum Member

Cheers for the suggestions,

Like the look of the PotenzaRE720 but to steep for my budget, dont get me wrong I understand u pay for what u get but cant really spend that much....

looking to spend around 35quid per tyre, any more suggestions?

Cheers [:D]

13. Drew21 Forum Member

have a look on ebay, I picked up my F1s, already fitted to a mint set of teardrops for 160. practically brand new rubber

I also picked up a set of brand new P6000s for my mates car for 120 (plus 20 quid to fit and balance down at crapfit)

14. Carbs4ever Forum Member

There's only one tyre to fit!!!
    GYEagle F1'S

Have them on me motor for a year now - rain hail or shine brill grip!

Do the roundabout test... 50mph in my Polo Coupe 195/45/15 with no sliding! kerb hugging lovliness!

In 'Tyre Trade' magazine they won best all round tyre in every category for the second year running!

15. Elliot8v Forum Member

Hi, think I will go for the F1's....are they called something else, cant seem to find that name, I know they are Goodyear....(want to get them on the net u see)

Found

Goodyear
    EAGLE VENTURA are these the ones?

Cheers Guys [:D]

16. diggerbucket Forum Member

Toyo proxes are probably about 30 each for 14s, excellent value for money, really good in both wet and dry conditions. Although if you can afford to pay the extra, get the goodyears!

17. Elliot8v Forum Member

Hi Guys ordered the F1's to be fitted on saturday, even the girl on the phone said they were excellent tyres!

Got 2 for 84fitted! GOOD PRICE? let me know

Cheers

18. prof Forum Addict

carefull don't mix em with normal tyres

F1s on the front cheap tyres on the back will give you a scary oversteering monster, buy 4 of them or fit them on the back

19. Elliot8v Forum Member

hi,

cant afford 4 at the mo.....have firestone on rear, so hopefully wont be that bad....

I know other people with same arrangement they have never said anything about this problem

Cheers guys...all good advise

20. jason Forum Member

noones mentioned yet,uniroyal rainsports,a good compramise between wear rate and grip,good dry grip ,excellent wet grip,with the grimey roads we're having now,and they do last,had toyo's and f1's ,but found they didn't last as long,this could be due to not gripping quite as well in the dry.
    tyres is really down to how much you abuse/use em ;)