Tyres Losing pressure

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Yorkie, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Yorkie Forum Member

Have a strange problem at the moment with my mk2 Golf. For some reason all 4 of my tyres seem to be losing pressure over a very short time (dropping 5psi in a few days).

Any ideas folks???

Background - I fitted back in April some new alloy wheels (195x45x16) and ran them @ 30psi. I then lowered the car 40mm about 2 months ago and found the ride was very hard so I dropped the psi down to 28, which made a surprising improvement in ride quality. I hadn't noticed until the last week that my tyre pressures were dropping when I replaced my metal valve caps with plastic ones (1 metal one got nicked). I got out of the car today and I could smell stale air (like you'd smell if you let the air out of a tyre).

Could it be the valve caps letting air out???

Please help before I go on a mass killing spree in Reading [:D]
    Edited by: Yorkie

2. The Other Simon Forum Member

Good question.

The usual way to find leaks it to use some really soapy water and chuck loads of it over the tyre, it should blow bubbles if there is a big leak.

I know you've probably thought of this one, but did you check the pressure while the tyres were at the same temperature each time? This cold weather can make you appear to lose 5 psi just through the air gettng colder.

The only other cause I know of is a rim leak. Some tyres just don't seal well to some rims. On a old Vauxhall, I could never get Goodyears to seal properly.

Simon.

3. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Check that your tyre fitter hasn't put the clamped weights on the rim, as they can corrode the alloy. The weights must be well away from the tyre.

4. Yorkie Forum Member

TOS - Will try the soapy water to see if I can find any leaks along the rim and valve, I have my doubts about the valves themselves.

I have always tested the pressures when the tyres were cold, never thought about the cold weather effecting them.

GTi. - They fitted stick on weights and not clamp on ones.

Cheers lads
    If anyone else has a thought, let me know.

5. Rainking Forum Member

bit too simple maybe, and would be most unlucky, but slow punctures?

or could be dodgy valves?

6. Yorkie Forum Member

Andrew - I will check all the tyres on Saturday when I get some time, I am that unlucky so it will probably be four punctures :(

Hopefully the soapy water will tell me if there are any leaks around the seams and/or valves.

7. Rainking Forum Member

Best of Luck chap....

8. pettsy Forum Member

i had a problem with the rear tyres on my gti. they kept going down, but the valves were fine,and they had no punctures.took em to a local garage and he said something about corrosion inside [:s] he took the tyres off (must have cleaned the inside out)then refitted them with some special sealent

9. NBirkitt Forum Member

Also worth considering nitrogen inflation

Ordinary compressed air is 80:20 nitrogen/oxygen

Oxygen leaks out through permeable rubber of tyre
    leaving just the denser nitrogen, so if you use 100%
    nitrogen they wont lose pressure

check out www.uniflate.com

or see November issue of Volkswagen Driver mag

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Sure your neibours not deflating them when your not around LOL.

11. Yorkie Forum Member

Quick update folks.
    Basically I put my tyre pressures back up to 30psi all round and they seem to be staying there. I think it was just a case of me being far to eager to lower the pressures cos of the hard ride.

Cheers all

12. octane Forum Junkie

on my old tsw's it was all coroded around the valve seat, loosened it with tyre on, cleaned it, and put it back together, never leaked again.