tyres- which ones?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by ambrose89, May 14, 2009.

?

which tyres? best Buy for cost performance

1. toyos 45 fitted locally

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. eagle f1 49.60 posted from my tyres

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. benny Forum Member

I got some F1's fitted to the back of my Beemer last year and dropped 4 MPG over night. Maybe that means they're fantastically grippy, but I saw it as a 10% loss in MPG. It didn't change my driving style, I couldn't go round corners faster etc from the Vredesteins I had on before. If it's your daily road car, I think you'd adapt to whatever you have. Just don't buy Linglong ditch finders!

I've used Toyos for the last ten years on road and track, un-beatable for the money!

TOYO FTW :thumbup:

PS. There's a guy on here - forget his name - that can get Toyo's a lot cheaper than that ;)

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

yeh i will go along with that i run re50a and they are the best tyre i have used

3. monkshood New Member

Tread Pattern Envy?

I've had several sets of the old eagle f1's on a 4wd audi and do offer very good grip in all conditions but my car eat's them, i got between 6&9k miles for each set, but the grip level is worth it as they are good value.

When i needed a set of new tyres for a mk2 16v which when i bought it had various different cheap tyres on it, it was like driving it on ice, those things should carry a health warning. I found that the f1's were being dicontinued so after reading reviews thought i'd try the goodyear f1 asymetric's.

As i've never tried the old f1's on a golf i can't directly compare but they seem to offer a good amont of grip wet and dry and they get a good and warm like the old f1's do.

Could it be that some people are choosing what the tread pattern looks like/brand image rather than the quality of the compound quality/grip the tyre retruns;) .

I always try and buy the best rubber designed for our climate. I've tried good michelin,continentals and pirelli's, none of them cheap but always found them all lacking especialy the pirelli's.

Found them too hard for our climate had them on a 4wd mazda and just wouldn't wear/get hot enough, great for 4 wheel drifting but thats not grip. Ended up having to change them because the rubber was perishing. Rubbish.

Dont beleive the hype!!!

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Got Toyo's on both cars and cant fault them and good in the wet. T1R's are alot better grip than proxes4's . Camskill are cheaper than mytyres. Would recommend them.

5. paultownsend Forum Member

iv put a set of bbs rz with new yoko' a539's on my mk2 last week, at my usual pressures, albeit a 50 profile rather than my toyo's 45. the tyres came with the wheels and thought id give them a go.
    my thoughts are they are terrible in the wet. i will not go more than 60 on the m'way, and 20 around a corner. they scare me. they also seem to ride worse, even though there a higher profile. il ge getting the toyo's back on asap. if only they didnt wear so quickly :)

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

how much are you for Bridgestone 040's

7. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

I always thought the reviews always rated the toyos over the F1's for wet grip?!

8. t'mill Forum Member

So did I, or come out as good. That's why i've just put 4 T1-R's on my Mk3. Am well happy with them though at 69.50 each for a 215 45 16 tyre size. Time will tell on the wear rate though.

9. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

I think its more to do with how many corporate days Bridgestone give the BMW tyre buying team...

Toyo will have their work cut out to try and break into that market.

45 each for T1r's in 195 50 15. The performance vs price of that package is extremely good value. I rate Toyos highly.

At the end of the day they are both very good tyres

The Good year F1's are 30% more expensive at 58 fitted. Are they going to give you 30% better performance and longer life. If yes or thereabouts then buy the F1's, if not then get the Toyos.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  10. WillG

WillG Forum Member

11. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

i've always had f1's on my mk2 vr before they lasted 3000miles everytime and span up all the time under power (no lsd) if hammering in 2nd in the dry even worse in the wet but actual grip is wicked but i can't tell any difference between them and the t1r's i've got now and the t1r's are alot cheaper so its a easy decision

12. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

just to mix this up a bit, why do we run the same tyres on the front as we do on the rear?

just a thought:lol:

13. g60luke Forum Member

I have had F1's and think they are awesome, they seem to be better in the wet than the dry (which I know is impossible) and thats a good price I think....
    Another one to consider is Falken FK-452s.
    Ran these on my Mk4 and they are a really good tyre, maybe better than the F1's allround...
    :thumbup:

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i felt that a couple times too haha im going to vredesteins for the next set

15. Admin Guest

ebay 122 delivered.

never had eagles, but been more than happy with toyos, never had a problem in the wet with them. i think the hype about them being crap in the wet is more peoples driving style that tyre performance.

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

just to mix things up abit I was driving my mk1 in the rain all day saturday and thats got yoko pradas on, and the grip was good I had to really push it to lose traction, and two people commented how much grip there seemed to be.

Also I had just one on my front o/s on my mk2 at a track day in febuary, I thought it had more grip than the T1-S not R, which was on the front n/s.

17. Admin Guest

or are they run by mk2 vr6 owners?:lol:

18. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

i couldn't find a test which compared f1 vs toyo, but found auto traders last test which had the t1-r in it and it's major plus point is it's "excellent wet weather handling", which i thought was the case.........

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Found this to be true.. Specially useful in this country..[:D]

20. thegave Forum Member

Anyone else have anything to say about Falken?

I'm looking at ZE 912 because Camskill doesn't have any other tyres in 215/35/16.