UK spec Brilliant Black Metallic 16v 2dr in New Zealand, Hello!

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by 16vblackbox, Sep 26, 2015.

1. 16vblackbox New Member

Hi all, I've been off and on this forum for a fair few years now. Since 2004 I think, different account. That's when I bought a pretty cool Jap spec 1988 silver RV 8v... with a GTI badge, interior, Votex rear spoiler and "sports exhaust".

[​IMG]

Was a great car to me. Had its issues but thanks to a top gent, it never really left me stranded.

[​IMG]

Please excuse the nostalgia, I think I'd buy this car back now If I knew where it was. Few pics of it with the ATS type 5's and 15' 6J Pirelli P slots (still own both sets)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But this is just a story about about a car I really like, chased for years, repaired and left behind in the land of the long white cloud.

A UK spec 1991 Brilliant Black Metallic 16v 2 door golf.

I bought it in 2008 but I've been working overseas and I'm finally going to get it certed and back on the road.

A pic of it in its pre damaged glory.

[​IMG]

First time I saw this car, it was being driven down Kyber pass some time in 2006-2007?

I chased the owner down in rush hour traffic and idiotically showed my absolute enthusiasm for for his car. We exchanged numbers and the haggling started.

That went on for years, he'd had many offers on it so he knew what he had and his asking price was kinda high... around $7K NZD iirc

Turned out he worked over the road from me at Lion breweries... I'd go there after work sometimes for a few beers in their s****y private bar and talk ^#$%. Nice chap.

Long story short, one day he texted me "his missus" had written it off and it was at turners car auctions. 50kph into the back of a tow bar apparently!

Hahah I recall getting the text, calling turners, finding out they knew nothing about it because it hadn't been processed, taking a few hours off work to drive down to check it out... I got there, had a quick enthusiastic chat to the woman behind the counter, she eventually just gave me the go ahead to just wander through the complex, out into their sorting yard with all the other wrecks... it was a complete mess...

[​IMG]

2. 16vblackbox New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So eventually I picked it up for $1250.

So I finally got it, years of stalking, chatting, and wistful thinking.. it was finally mine... beat up and possibly even non certifiable (so some told me at the time)... but still great for parts at least.

It was finally home and I've never been more enthusiastic about fixing anything ever.

[​IMG]

Backed it 10 feet down that awesome driveway and with a couple mates we got stuck in.

[​IMG]

Excuse the fram please. It had nothing to do with me.

3. 16vblackbox New Member

By the end of that weekend or the next, I'd sorted a grey fender from good ol' pickapart and a 2nd hand front big bumper/lower spoiler from europarts? for around $200 IIRC.

The impact had done damage to the right side frame rail and the inner guard.

[​IMG]

With help from mates, the front bumper was coerced into place and the car was looking much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 16vblackbox New Member

So I towed the car up the road to get it straightened, around $450 and I've the read out stashed away. The car came with its complete history, everything all the way back to when It was first imported into New Zealand in 1994! No visible signs of serious rust anywhere, a little surface rust in some parts but nothing serious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hahaa I recall unfortunately that the car and the garage was getting the odd unwelcome visitor... Lost a few spare parts but it could have been much worse.

[​IMG]

Eventually I buggered off to Australia and left it to gather dust in a rented garage. However, after some travelling about the world I've come back to New Zealand for a bit and its time to get this awesome little box on the road!!

Thanks for reading this, if anyone has any advice or anything I'm very keen to hear it! I will start a resurrection thread up at some point too.

5. 16vblackbox New Member

Oh and a quick but big thanks to clubgti for all the information over the years, if it was not for this site and a couple others there would've been absolutely no way I could have kept / fixed the cars I've had.

Toyotec, Sirguydo and Richard Mk2 like this.
  6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Excellent story.

Never thought I would see a picture of 2 Mk2 Golfs and a RX60 Cressida on the same street!

Golf 2 and RX60 Cressida.JPG

7. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, nice save on the 16v. Can't be too many of those in NZ I guess, rare enough in Oz at it is. How do you get on for spares?

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Welcome
    Nice glad you getting it fixed up