Ultraviolet Recaros

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 6Veedubaddict6, Aug 31, 2022.

1. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Hi hope all is well?
    Looking at having my front electric ultraviolet recaros refurbished.
    The company who will be doing it for me have asked me to supply the parts.
    They are in quite poor condition and need new bolsters, new spring bases etc.
    One of my pals is selling a nice set of front leathers from a mk3 which to the untrained eye look identical. I do know that the frame is slightly different but will all the other parts be transferable? He's wanting 300 for them. If I was to buy all of the required parts separately it would cost more.
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
    Calvin

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Having got a set of MK2 recaros and had a set of mk3 gti and recaro seats before my memory is telling me that they are nothing like but I'm sure a resident expert will be along soon to confirm or deny

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I think it depends whether you have late MK2 seats which I believe are the same. Or early MK2 seats which are different. Not sure of the switch-over date.
    There are some companies that sell replacement foam if you can't find decent s/hand ones.
    I have "Ultrared" or whatever they call it. I like the fact they are all fabric since replacement sections can be sewn in without the need for bead as per rainbow material.

A quick Google trawl gives this from the "oh knowledgeable one" [:D]

Looks like Classic VW have them

https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/seat-base-foam-357881375a-mk2-golf--jetta-1989---1993-29029-p.asp

Also look at werk34.de

EDIT:
    DOH. I scim read. Ignore my response
    These are Recaro seats aren't they. The foam is in sections and can be replaced but I don't know if the sections of a late MK2 are the same as a MK3. I'd be surprised if they were different because they would be low volume.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  4. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Yeah so my mk2 seats are late ones. Trying to upload photos of them but it won't let me for some reason.
    I know that I can buy all the parts I need separately but it would be much cheaper if I just bought a second hand set to use as a doner set if that makes sense?
    But I am just unsure if the bare bolsters are the same from the mk3's, as well as the spring bases etc.
    Thanks
    Calvin

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK2 Recaros with electric bases share pretty much nothing with the MK3 Recaro seats, couple bushes and clips here and there thats about it. the mk1 cabrio recaros plus us market mk2 non-electric seats are basically the same though.

If you actually mean standard 90spec on MK2 GTI seats, then yes MK3 GTI seats are very similar and share a lot of parts ;)

6. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Hi RJ
    No bother thank you, you just saved me from throwing away 350 quid .
    I need to try and source replacement bolsters, spring bases etc to rebuild the seats I have.
    Any recommendations as to where these can be sourced at a reasonable price?
    Thank You
    Calvin

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ebay.de is a good aplce to start, plus the ford recaro bolsters fit after a little trimming. you can get new ones but they're ever so slightly different shape