Under bonnet whistle

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Pecker, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Pecker Forum Member

Our MkII 16v has a whistle. Sounds not unlike turbo whine (I should be so lucky!). I thought it was belt noise, but it's just been suggested to me that it's more likely the inlet manifold gasket although it's not obvious. I don't wanna change the gasket for no reason, as I can see little pipes also giving up the ghost at the same time, but I'm paranoid about causing damage if I leave it. Car seems to be running fine - delightful actually!
    Bite the bullet and change the gasket? or does anyone have suggestions as to how to check the man. gasket properly?
    Decisions, decisions. Anyone come across this before?

Gaz.

2. essex_lad Forum Member

Well it's definitely air being drawn in somewhere.

If the Inlet Manifold gasket was leaking you should know about it, my manifold was just a bit loose and it would cause jerkiness under acceleration. Just try tightening it up a bit.

It might also be a vacumn leak somewhere, go around and check all those hoses and pipes.

3. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Is the whistle evident when you are driving or at idle?

Mine tends to whistle a tad when accelerating calmly. At a certain engine speed in each gear I get a whistle for a few seconds.

I put it down to an accoustic thing thats happening at a particular air speed through the induction components. Something like when you blow over the top of a bottle if you catch my drift.

To isolate if its belts, grab a can of WD40 and spray a small amount on the pulleys as they are running. It will quieten then down for a couple of minutes (don't use too much!!)

Other than that, do what exxex lad says.

4. The Other Simon Forum Member

It's not the o-ring around the idle screw is it?

That cured mine.

Simon.

5. Pecker Forum Member

Well the manifolds down rock solid (why on earth allen headed studs?!) and I really can't see or feel any vacuum or problems with the metering pipes or banjo's.

Thought I had it when I dropped a bit of WD40 on the pulleys, but then I realised it just changed the tone from that end of the block and the whistle was still there. It can be heard most at idle while stationery, so it's not a wind noise.

Trying to detect where it's coming from whil the engine's running ain't exactly easy, although now having had my ears near all sorts hot or moving, i've a mind to think it's up near the intake pipe/throttle valve housing.

Just been out to check and BINGO - it looks like it's the idle screw 'o' ring. The screw's loose, but is it straight forward or am I going to bu*ger up anything by taking it all the way out?

Nice one Essex, Harry and Simon. Thanks for the replies - much appreciated advice.

Gaz :)

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

You can take the screw out no problem.

Screw it in completely (clockwise) and count the number of turns until it stops.

Then unscrew it until you can take it out.

Replace the o ring if needed and then screw it in all the way again.

Then unscrew it to the point where it was before (counting back the number to remembered earlier).

If the idle is wrong then you'll have to set it up. To do this you get the engine up to its normal temp and switch it off.
    Then pull apart the connector in the red wire next to the coil (this switches off the idle stalilisation valve).

Start the engine and adjust the idle to about 950rpm. switch the engine off at reconnect the red wire.

Idle should now be set.

7. Pecker Forum Member

Excellent, that sounds nice and easy. I'm just out of daylight, so it's a job for the morning. Idle is a little over 1000 at the moment anyway, so maybe I'll just set it up properly anyway.

Thanks Harry

Gaz.

8. Davs Forum Member

it sounds like its coming from the alternator fins on my 1300.
    but i won't need to worry about it now im dropping a 16v in [:D]

9. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

An then it'll whistle from the idle [:^:] screw!

10. Pecker Forum Member

Davs, if you think you'll miss the whistle, I have an 'o' ring that'll do the job perfectly. It's taken ten of thousands of miles to hone it to this level of perfection, but I could be made to part with it for the right kind of offer....

Gaz.

11. swax Forum Member

I've had a similar problem, sorry for being non-technical, but the noise I've got (Very slightly, under acceleration only, not idling) is a slight blowing noise from what sounds like where the exhaust comes out from the engine (Manifold?) It looks like there's some kind of join where the exhaust can flex, and I think its coming from there.

Its not too noisy, there is no loss of power, nothing. I've driven in an Alfa recently that had the same sound, but much louder and aparantly that was normal... am I loosing pressure through the exhaust, and would fitting a full stainless system help resolve this problem??

Once again, any ideas greatfully received...

12. Pecker Forum Member

Epilogue:

Went to local VAG main dealer (believing this to be a good idea).
    Me: I'd like a new 'o' ring for the idle screw on my '89 Golf 1.8 16v GTi please if you have one;
    Mr VAG tim-nice-but-dim: Sure we will, I'll just look it up so I can find it (Much mouse-wielding at spares PC);
    T-N-B-D: That's the one on the side of the carburettor?;
    Me: No, it's a GTi (leans over the counter to look at his PC screen);
    TNBD: Oh yes. Sorry I'm new and am finding my way around;
    Me: There (points), that's the housing it's in (notes no piccy of screw);
    Mr VAG been-there-done-it arrives to assist;
    B-T-D-I: It's not listed as a separate part;
    Me: Okay, what does that mean?;
    BTDI: You'll have to buy the complete screw for 4;
    Me: Fine. I don't mind that, will it have an 'o' ring on it?;
    TNBD: I'll just go get one (more mouse work);
    BTDI leaves the scene
    TNBD: It's not showing in stock, I can order you one - it'll take about 3 days;
    Me: Will it have an 'o' ring on it?;
    TNBD: There's no way of knowing as it's not listed separately, we'll find out when it's delivered;
    Me: Don't worry, I'll try elsewhere. Leaves.
    Came back via Halfrauds and bought a mix bag of 'o' rings.
    Counted the screw turns in, removed the screw.
    Tried three marginally different 'o' rings before settling on the nearest (happened to be in a bag in my garage anyway after all that).
    Reset the idle as per Harry's advice and everything's now tickedy boo at 900-950rpm, no whistle [:^:]
    There was a bit of dry black carbon build up at the belled end of the screw - is this normal??

Gaz.

NB: We've now had the car a year and I've yet to be able to source anything straight from VAG. Is it me?

13. Davs Forum Member

pecker: i think i'll leave it mate [:^:]

if i get lonely without the whistle i'll fit a turbo.... hmmmmmmm ;)

14. Pecker Forum Member

Aww, you sure?

If money's the problem, I should be able to undercut most turbo fits. And think of all the dosh you'll not be putting in a swear-box. Not to mention the graunched knuckles you'll save as I guarantee (well almost) it'll be an easier job :p

Hang on a sec....have I just discovered a market niche: The Gazkit 'IDLECHARGER' - you saw it here first [8D]

Time for a new sheet of wet&dry methinks.

15. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

LOL, know what you mean about the VAG dealer sometimes. You either get the really helpful knowledgeable guy or you don't.

I pretty sure I've heard its difficult to get the o ring on its own as well. I usually just ask to route through their odds and sods o rings (they all have 'em).

The carbon on the end of the screw is kinda normal. I just periodically clean it of with wet and dry also.