Undercar Caging / Bracing

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Andy947, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Andy947 Forum Addict

Not sure what section to mention this in, but was canning the latest EVO mag lastnight and was looking at the pics of the Touring car crashes and noticed soem fo the cars had what looked be caging extending underneath the car Preumably to pickup the internal cage points and strengthen further.

Does anyoen do this with track cars etc, or is this something not often considered?

Havn't got the pics scanned in, but no doubt somone has examples.

2. ingham Forum Member

i noticed a big cross brace under floor when one of the hondas crashed
    interesting

3. ingham Forum Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've not seen it on monocoque track cars (ignore space frames), but recall seeing it in Super Tourers on the '90s, Cleland Cavalier etc.

Part of the reason is that it's not commonplace, is due to racing rules. The tube is thin wall / thin diameter T45, whereas in MSA racing you need a minimum of 45 x 2.5mm CDS or 50 x 2mm CDS, unless you have an FIA certificated cage in T45, in an unmodified state.

No one makes FIA homologated cages for Mk1s/2s/3s with these bars fitted.

I'm sure there is likely to be more to it than this - MSA stipulated cage designs for racing formulae - but that's the gist, so this stuff is pure home fabrication for cars which then couldn't be raced under MSA.

In terms of whether they'd be useful, they'd stiffen the shell a bit and protect more from damage, but will be a bit of work to install.

I've pondered it in the past, whilst dreaming up ultimate track car specs, and remember a couple of crashed cars where I wondered if the shell could have been saved if the bars had been present.

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Thats the car i sponsor in the BTCC, Well it was:lol:

6. micky1 Forum Member

would be handy if you could pick up suspension points aswell.

would help in a T bone situation aswell....remember mansells off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNAUQaJuw34

After watching this is wasn't so much of a T bone but you get my drift! or his rather!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009