Underneath the Arches

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by FORMERKEEPER, Oct 14, 2010.

1. FORMERKEEPER New Member

Hi there I'm new to the Club so be gentle, I've got a Mk2 Gti 8v that I've had for about a year, I've just replaced the front wings among a growing list of other stuff. I've noticed that the plastic wheel trims are ground out underneath as if the suspension has been slammed at some time! Has any one tried plastic welding or riveting to repair these, or do I need a new set? Where's the best place to buy? they are for the big bumper type with the 36mm side trim and seem quite hard to get hold of any ideas ?
    Ta

2. FORMERKEEPER New Member

Sorry I meant to say wheel arch flares not wheel trims (it's been a tough week!)

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

If replacing them your best bet is the classifieds on here or ebay for S/H items, GSF or ECP for repro parts, or Big Boy's Toys for genuine parts, if you're feeling flush..

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mine are totally cut out at the top, as are g60 arches from the factory. the holes that are left should be enough to hold the trims, but if the original holes are duff you could always drill some new ones. on my mk2 i drilled an extra hole in the side of the arch trim and riveted behind the front bumper sits due to both my front wings having no lip left at all at the front due to rust issues :lol:

5. FORMERKEEPER New Member

Thanks for that I'll check out ECP and Big Boys toys! if not I may just refit them as is as John suggests!
    The ones I took off seemed to masticked on at the tops I guess this is a bodge, that shouldn't be repeated or is this part of the factory fit? Any way the arches where rusted away must make a terrible water trap.
    ta