Upgrading to aftermarket stereo system, need help.

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Beard3dDragon, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Beard3dDragon New Member

Okay so I recently bought a 2002 volkswagen gti 1.8t. It has the monsoon audio system with stock amp in it, and I must say I have never heard worse quality in a car audio system before (there is almost no bass whatsoever). I don't know if it is damaged or what but its terrible. So I am planning on upgrading the sound system (head unit, amp, and two 12" subwoofers). I have already picked out the amp and subs that I am wanting, as well as the head unit (going with single din for now), but I am having a very difficult time finding a correct mounting kit and wiring harness for this car. So my question is, what mounting kit/wiring harness do you guys use for your mk4 golf gti's, and where can I get one? The only one that I have found that seems like it would work is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-CAR-STER...8L&hash=item5afaaeb239&vxp=mtr#ht_3125wt_1060

My concern is that in the listing for this item it states that it will not work for the monsoon stereo system. So does this mean it will not hook up to the monsoon head unit? If so then that doesn't matter as I do not plan on utilizing any piece of the stock stereo system other than the stock speakers. I'll be taking out the stock amp and head unit. I'm going to be using a Kenwood single din head unit, so will this work or will it not? And if not, where can I get the correct mounting kit/wiring harness for this car? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2. merlin1.8t New Member

Is the monsoon the double din unit? I would have thought your new head unit would come with a cage which you insert into the bottom half of the hole left by the old head unit. Then you can buy a replacement cubby hole for the top half.