uprated headlight looms

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by FyzGolf, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Mikey C Forum Member

just had a thought, could you keep the live from the existing circuit to the headlight still connected, so if any of the relays or fuses fail, it would still be on through the origional circuit, i.e 86 and 87 are joined

this would save having loads of relays just in case of failure.

mike

2. Drew21 Forum Member

Mikey, when I put the uprated loom in I left the original loom in place as there is nothing to prevent you doing this, the lights will still only get 12v and this won't be doubled just because there are two looms attched to it.

As you say, this means that there is a permanent fall back should your new wiring go up in flames and you can't be left in the dark unless the original VAG wiring goes.

both the original 3-blade bulb plugs plug into my loom and a seperate plug (from vehicle wiring products.co.uk) plugs into the bulbs. The high beam splots are wired in parallel to these new plugs. I have two relays, one for low beam and one for high beam, and my dim dip is unplugged.

hope this helps[:s]

3. Mikey C Forum Member

lol

cheers, i'm glad i can do that cos i just wanted to use one relay box and 4 relays - dipped, main beam, inner main beam, and fogs. i'm doin mine permanently so i'm just gonna chop the old wires off where they go round the battery (mk1 golf) and have the relay box there

cheers
    mike

4. Drew21 Forum Member

why do you want a seperate relay for inner main? I just wired it in parallel to the high beam pins on the main headlight unit. It does lead to some fairly large currents (about 20-25 amps) but so long as you buy a high current relay for the full beam circuit and use some chunky wire then the circuit will cope

5. Mikey C Forum Member

cos i wanna run some high wattage bulbs in them, and have a separate switch on the dashboard for them, so that i just use them when theres absolutely no cars about when its dark.

mike

6. bilko1 New Member

Just fitted on my mk1 gti, an uprated wiring loom from trimsport.I need to know what uprated bulbs to use.Anyone help?

7. miguel New Member

might seem a crazy idea, but why not just uprate the original headlight wires? or am I missing something here???

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

the original headlight cable route is a daft one which saps power. better taking a feed staright from the alternator and using the original wiring to activate the relay (switch). less voltage drop...

9. miguel New Member

ok, trip to Maplin, i've hooked up a couple of relays, fuse holders and some heavier cable. WOW I can see in the dark but now my addiction has set in and i'm now craving MORE!!
    what bulbs, where from and how much?

also whilst laughing my way through MAX_POWER gayness of the venom website i came across these replacement indicators that double up as driving lamps 35 a pair!
    Are they GAY or OK?

[​IMG]

10. chevychase New Member

can anyone help? i got a mk2 gti 16v 1989, when i turn my lights on there fine but when i put my spotlights on, the passenger side goes off but the side light stays on and if i only use the flasher it stays on but the spotlight doesn't come on

11. G60. Forum Member

12. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

what are we uprating exactly when we refer to high and low??

do we mean sidelights and main beam or main beam and dipped??

how are the sidelights activated??