Uprating rear pads for track use

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Mar 3, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Everytime I do a track day, I always seem to get a long brake pedal as the day goes on.

Current set up for the brakes is G60 280mm (genuine VAG plain discs) on the front with 16v calipers and Ferodo DS2500 race pads, goodridge hoses and Castrol SRF fluid

Rears are standard Ferodo road pads with OEM rear discs.

Wondering if to fit some kind of uprated rear pads, but not too harsh as don't want rear locking issues.

Any thoughts?

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

I'd say the compressed grass cheapo import ones would be ideal :thumbup:

Or failing that Pagid Fast roads on rear for a try :)

3. GVK

I was thinking Pagids Andy, just wondered if anyone has ever cured the long pedal feeling on track days with their mk2?

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

I cant even cure my long pedal feeling without going on track [:x]

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`d give Pagids a go, do you think it`s down to the fluid boiling then or the pads/calipers overheating?

Shame you cant get a thermal backing plate for the pad, Honda us them on the superbikes.

6. GVK

I'm not sure why Keith, that's why i'm asking :lol:

I would hope it's not the fluid at fault as it's the most bleeding expensive fluid you can buy ( if you pay the full price) and many race teams use it.

Mind you, it's been in there nearly a year without bleeding, so i'll bleed it through and see if I get my pedal back as it was, It had a great pedal before Sunday but at the moment it's a bit soggy.

Last time at Donny had the rear brakes smoking [:$] Also wondering if I've got too much rear bias on them and the rear brakes are overheating causing the soggy pedal, they don't lock that easily but when driving you can tell the rear brakes are working quite hard.

After Donny on Sunday had hardly any brake dust on front wheels, but then the pads are hard so you'd not expect there to be a great deal of dust off them.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Think your right to try the pagids and back the bias off, seen brake fluid re-circulation kits (TAS I think) if you get stuck, cools the fluid but not cheap :lol:

8. ColinT Forum Member

I use Pagid Fast Road pads and the pedal feels the same all day long ;)

9. Carl S Forum Member

I've fitted Pagid fast road pads on the front and rear. The brakes lasted very well during the half hour sessions at Silverstone last weekend with no fade. I can't say I've noticed the pedal has long travel.
    I'm running the same front discs as you - 280mm VW OEM,
    G60 calipers,
    Brembo solid rear disks
    larger master cylinder from the G60 (from memory)

I managed to lock up one rear wheel only once when I (rather unwisely [:s] ) braked hard not in a straight line.
    The pagid pads seemed to take a pretty short time to wear in so I'd recommend them.

Edit - Just remembered I had lots of issues with long pedal travel on an old MGB GT I had years ago. It eventualy turned out to be an adjustment needed on the pushrod that connected the pedal through the servo to the master cylinder. I don't know if the Golf uses the same setup, but could be worth a look ?
    Edited by: Carl S

10. barny Forum Member

ebc's never had any probs with brakes

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I don't think GVK will be putting Pagid FR's in the front - they're not a patch on Ferrodo DS2500's and they fall apart.

But someone help him sort this pedal out - he was braking halfway through coppice to sloe down for the esses! :lol:

12. GVK

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've never rated std Ferodo pads TBH - any Fast road type rear pad is bound to be better than that.

...but are you sure the rears are touching the ground with that front brake setup?

Edited by: mikehorsb

14. GVK

I've ordered some Pagid fast road rears from GSF just now, will see how they cope.

15. vrbanana Forum Junkie

why are you still using the OE brake reg, your car doesnt alter in the way a std car does so bin it and buy one from rally design. Cable tie the original so its in the full load position and see if it makes a difference to the pedal height, Ive had one that gave a long pedal and no amount of bleeding would help but once the reg was changed the pedal was mint.

16. GVK

I sold Tub the wilwood valve I got from Phatty [:$]

The bias valve is about the only thing I hav'nt changed on this poxy car's braking system :lol:

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

told you to bin it last time just before Mallory.........FFS throw it away [:x] ... :lol: ;)

listen to uncle Daz young man :lol: :lol: :lol:

just fitted new toy on the limo, hyd fly-off handbrake for those tight corners and ashen faced passengers[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

18. GVK

< salutes > yes Uncle Daz! [:D]

Hyd fly off hand brake [:D] [8D]

19. vrbanana Forum Junkie

may not work too well as Ive decided to link it into the front brakes instead:lol: :lol: :lol: [:$]

just need big notice on dash saying Mick keep you f**kING hands OFF [:x] :lol:

20. GVK

Ahhhh just like the good old Citroen BX :lol: