URGENT INFO NEEDED - MAYO IN COOLANT!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by AndyD, Oct 26, 2003.

1. AndyD Forum Member

Picked up my Mk2 valver from Stealth on Friday after having the head gasflowed (9A block)

Coolant was really low when I got it home so I topped it up, but it still seemed to be running hotter than before it went in, but didn't think anyhting of it.

Just been out to check the coolant again and theres what appears to be Mayo in it

Checked the oil as well and there seems to be a small amount under the oil filler cap.

Is this normal after a new headgasket is fitted (Vince told me a new one had been fitted) or have they not done something properly?

HELP!!

Ta, Andy
    Edited by: AndyD

2. madmonkey Forum Addict

Damp can get into the rocker cover, but don't know about crud in the coolant though. :(

3. AndyD Forum Member

Luckily I work near Stealth, so I may drop the car off there tomorrow and get Vince to check it out.

Really hope its OK :(

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

its not normal...either failed head gasket or a oil cooler prob(internal leak)

5. AndyD Forum Member

bugger, I was hoping no-one would say that.

Is it OK to drive? Its 40-odd miles from where I live to Stealth?

6. AndyD Forum Member

I've now noticed about 3 or 4 wires that look like they should be connected to the block, but aren't. I really hope that they won't have caused this problem, otherwise I'm going to be really p***ed off. [:x]

7. jake Forum Member

pigbladder seems to have covered it, either a leaky oil cooler or a headgasket gone. Some mayo can build up in engines that dont get used very hard or short trips as the oil doesnt get hot enough to evaporate the water out, but not iin the coolant, just in the oil (ie the rocker cover etc.)
    The wires you talk of, where are they and where do they go? If they are the coolant temp sensor wires then it wont know its getting hot, however it shouldnt matter as the thermostat and temp switch/fan on the rad will sort it out, the rest only control cold start fueling and the guage on the dash. (If i'm not much mistaken)

8. AndyD Forum Member

Not sure about the wires, but I did notice on the way back on Friday that my MFA wasn't displaying oil temp??

Definately going to take it back tomorrow, as long as its safe to drive it.

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

make sure the coolant stays topped up while you drive it..although id phone em and get em to collect or at least advise?

the wires..should be a green around the back of the head(oil temp)..and there 3 one wire sensors on the end of the head..seems it dont matter what way round they go

10. AndyD Forum Member

Unfortunatley I've got to drive, so I'll risk it and then leave it at Stealth before they open tomorrow.

Surely I shouldn't be expected to pay for it if it is the headgasket, seeing as they had the head off to gas flow it and changed the gasket at the time?

11. AndyD Forum Member

Looking again now, I'm not sure whether there is any mayo under hte oil cap, it may have just been the lighting outside.

If it is just the coolant looking sludgy, could this be anything different, or would it still likely be the head gasket or oil cooler?

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

take it back whatever..best to be sure,altough maybe they spilt oil in the water or vise versa and didnt flush it and refill with new..as you should

13. Seizure Forum Member

The sensor for the oil temp is on the back of the head, behing the dizzy. Mine has fallen off before and all you get is "---"

I would change the oil cooler first. It's a common failiure and the cheaper of the options.

Surprised that Stealth handed your car back in such a state. They are normally spot on there.

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.

14. AndyD Forum Member

Well, just got the car back from Stealth, head is OK, looks like there might have been some crud left over from the last head gasket which made its way to the expansion tank and freaked me out!

Vince flushed the system again, and changed the expansion tank and one of the hoses, free of charge - top bloke!!

Also reconnected the oil temp sensor wire on the back of the head that I had pointed out!!

So all in all a good result!

15. Rahul Forum Junkie

still never heard anything bad about stealth racing!
    Edited by: CabrioRags