Urgent mk3 question

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 8valvenut, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

I didn't touch the dizzy at all that's been right for ages now and was working perfect so didn't touch it so should be just as was really, I'll think I'll check it anyway if I can remember how to lol is it when you get TDC and line the rotor arm up with plug one cam belt end ?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the belt has been off/loose then the dizzy will spin free, take cap off and line the rotor arm up to the notch on side of dizzy.

ifi t has moved you may need to reset the ignition timing, if so see my sig. you want 2edizzy.pdf or aggadydizzy1 & 2.pdf for the correct procedure depending on your engine code

8valvenut likes this.
  3. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

All sorted, :thumbup: you guys are the best, I took the dizzy out completely cleaned it all up lined up as described in the 2e set up guide, tightened up , checked all plugs vac lines you name it double checked everything, and what do ya know, first turn of the key and shazam ! Fired up first time :thumbup: sounded a little tappety at first then went nice and quiet, now to sort the exhaust it sounds like a tank lol

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  4. twolitrepinto Forum Member

nice, was just going to say it sounds like ignition timing, the aux pulley that times the distributor probably got moved, glad its sorted!

5. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

Hmmm ran into a problem, more of a concern really, not started the car since I got it running, went out to do a bit more at it this afternoon so thought I'd warm it up while i was messing about doing other stuff, to my horror the top end sounds like a bag o hammers rattling away, at first i thought maybe the lifters aint filled up with oil yet so took the the oil filler cap off and found mayo on the underside of the cap so thought it may just be condensation, i gave it a run round the block (about 3 miles) parked up and the top end was still noisy but not as bad, any ideas anyone i'm afraid i may have broken my car :cry:

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you leave it a while the oil can drain out of the lifters, especially if you have a cheap oil filter on it as they lack the non-return valve that the genuine/mann oil filters have. bit of mayo on cap is no concern its when you have mayo on the dipstick you need to worry

8valvenut likes this.
  7. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

fingers crossed it sorts itself out then. I cant really take it out anywhere as theres no Mot etc i can only run it down the farm track and back again i did around 3 miles in it running up and down but not had chance to open it up yet, also had a little backfire but i think thats probs the exhaust its not fitted right and blowing in a couple of places gotta take it off and clean all the joints up and use silicon or similar to fix it back together :)