US spec 90-92 GTI 16Vs in Europe, Mexico, etc

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Monzared, Oct 13, 2023.

1. Monzared New Member

Hello all

I am a lifelong GTI enthusiast, previous owner, VW collector,

Looking to see how many people know of 1990-1992 GTI 16V USA spec cars in Europe, Mexico, ETC. many where exported. I am hoping I can track down some of these cars and ideally an original low mileage example. Would love to hear stories and opinions on this. I do remember in 1992 many new examples getting sent for sale in Germany, Holland, etc. I am sure a few are in collectors hands like new.

Christian

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I believe you would struggle to find folks with a USDM Type 1G here, as the EU ones were much better spec'd, with more powerful engines and we had options like the Edition1, Edition 16v, Edition blue, Golf G60, Golf Limited and Rallye that the USDM did not get.

3. Monzared New Member

edition 16V is just your edition 1 version of the 16V correct?
    Our 90-92 16V came with special recaro seats and G60 flares along with RM012. Unfortunately due to the Mexico plant quality the cars perished shortly after being used and had many issues. I was told many Europeans bought and exported them home