Usb bluetooth device

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Greenballs76, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Greenballs76 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi there, first post on the forum so I'll say hello to everyone first.
    I've not long bought a 2009 golf gti, the car has all the functions
    And buttons ready for Bluetooth but I've learned that it was an optional
    Extra which I don't have.
    Can anyone help with the easiest way to connect my iPhone 5 to the car?
    I've tried plugging directly through the usb but nothing happens, it doesn't
    Even charge?!
    I've tried the aux to but still nothing happens.
    Is there a device I can plug into the usb that will pair my phone to the car?
    I really want to avoid plugging the phone into anything if I can.
    I would like to get as much function as I can via Bluetooth like music and calls
    If Thad at all possible
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks, graham

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what model of stereo is it you have, and do you have a CD changer? most modern units you just get a bluetooth unit and pop it in the back, job done. if it has a changer though the socket will be full.

do you have usb sockets already in the car though? if so i imagine that if nothing else your iphone should at least charge from them so that suggests an issue with the wiring to them. perhaps they were standard but someone unplugged them in favour of some other stereo upgrade module (cd changer perhaps? :lol:) it may already have a bluetooth module, though if its not the standard one might be a different procedure for setting them up.

another possibility is that at some point someone changed the stereo, then when selling the car they put the original one back in but forgot to connect the usb sockets?

3. Greenballs76 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi there,
    The stereo is the original as it's a full touch screen job.
    It has no cd multi changer either, the usb that's installed does work as I can play my Samsung MP3 player works just fine when plugged in and the touch screen recognises the playlist.
    As far as I've managed to find out the Bluetooth module should be situated under one of the front seats but it's not there.
    I was kinda hoping there would be a simple dongle type thing that would plug into the car USB and pick up my phone in the same way as the factory fitted module would.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah ok, might be its not man enough to charge the ipod then I know the ipads need a beefy charger otherwise they wont charge.

maybe post up a picture of the unit and someone may know what model it is, unless you have the manual for it if so that'll say on the front :) there are lots of c heap usb dongles which plug in the back and setup using the cd changer controls, there must be one that suits your model. you can get simple aux in cables as well, or for a bit more money you can get the genuine upgrade kits just a case of figure out what your model is then work form there :)