use a 2E dizzy in a 1800 driver

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Setone, May 30, 2008.

1. Setone Forum Member

Since I sold my Golf, I'm itching to build another. but this time round thinking along the line of:

2.0 bottom end with a 2.0 8v crossflow head or 2.0 16v
    lumpy cam
    bike carbs or 45's

Was thinking that a mk2 driver or gl running a carb would be a good base car to start from??? please correct me if i'm wrong

would a 2E dizzy plug straight into the driver ignition system? I have no experience with the VW carb'd range.

Also any links to using bike carb's on a car engine? what sort of size would be ideal?

Cheers

Paul

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. ThE_gOg Forum Member

think you may have to upgrade the fuel pump etc if you're putting a 16v into a base car that was previously a carb mate.

would of thought the best base would be a gti to start with, you get all the brakes, fueling in there to start with.

Chris

3. Setone Forum Member

fuel pump, brakes and that i can sort really easy.

just wondered if i would need to do anythng to the ingition side of a driver to make it work?

as i've seen a really clean 1.8 driver

4. Setone Forum Member

to answer my own question i don't think i can. due to the fact that the driver will have, vaccum advance, where as the dizzy from a 2E engine won't.

anyway round ths?

5. fried egg

fried egg Forum Member

Hi mate you can't use the 2E dizzy as the mk3 golfs used a ecu to control advance/retard where the driver used a vacuum advance.

You need to use the driver dizzy and swap the cog over on the bottom with one of a mark3 as they are a different size.
    Hope this helps

Steve

6. mookie Forum Member

I've no useful input here, but I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress after the 2.0L 8v last year!

7. Setone Forum Member

though as much with the swapping of bits from one to another, i'll make it work some how.

defo going crossflow 8v head on a 2.0 bottom end, custom made inlet with some 45's just need to start sourcing parts again now