V5 bizarreness...

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by stimpy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Yay - just heard back from HIC... the premium won't be any more, I just have to get an engineer's report [:D]

Well, that's a weight off my mind... Can just get on and enjoy the car now - phew :thumbup:

Anyone know how I go about getting an engineer's report? Should a local garage be able to do one (like an MOT place), or is it more of an AA/RAC kind of thing?

<edit> Just looked on RAC site... 206.95 for a "post accident inspection" - I guess that's what I need [:s] How much????? [8(]) </edit>
    Edited by: stimpy

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, it's true I'm afraid.

Stimpy: WHAT? HIC want an engineer's report? But HIC never mentioned this to me, not even when I had a long conversation with the chap there regarding getting a valuation on it (he was fully informed about the status). So why is it that you need a report, but I've never needed one?

3. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

I guess maybe it depends on who the underwriters are? My quote is for someone called "Highway Insurance", or something like that?

HIC didn't know off the top of their heads - bloke I spoke to first said "in my experience if it's Category D then an MOT is fine, if it's Category C you may need an engineer's report".

They called the underwriters, and came back to me a few hours later to say they'd been told to ask for the report...

When I said "where can I get the report from, then?" they sounded a bit stumped, and said words to the effect of "dunno, we hardly ever have to ask for them".

I think part of it is just plain bad luck on my part, especially with the dates. If the accident (or whatever - still have no details) happened before April 2003 then I wouldn't have these problems, and if I'd bought the car before September 2004 then I would also be none the wiser to its history. It's just the recent changes to prevent vehicle "identity swapping" that have stuffed me [xx(]

After all, the last V5 document, Direct Line and HIC gave no indication of its history... the only people who seem to know were the DVLA [:s]

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Mine was a cat D and went back on the road no problem. The new owner did get a letter the same as your but he saw pics of the crash so was expecting it.

Got any pics of the car?

5. Trev16v

Yeah, mine had its incident in '94 and has no catagory associated with it, and I had a new V5 for the car around the end of 2003, with no issues.

Hey stimpy - that RAC inspection - does it remove the vehicle from the 'condition alert' register and place it onto the 'condition inspected' register? That's something you can have done if you pay Autoline (or whatever they're called) to inspect your car.

6. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Only in the dark/wet! I'm holding on til the new wheels arrive (today [:D]) and then it'll be making it's debut appearance in "Members Motors" [:$]

Yeah, that's what'll happen. Not too bad an outcome in the end, I think. Just hope it doesn't turn out to be 4 Ladas welded together when its inspected...

7. Trev16v

Well I think the fact that it moves the status from 'alert' to 'condition inspected' makes it possibly worthwhile in the sense that it would hopefully help the resale value (not that I am personally that bothered - cars are worth bugger all no matter what).

8. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Just an update in case a) anyone remembers this thread and b) anyone cares! :lol:

Had the engineer's report done today. Car is okay - had nearside door and rear panel replaced (not just door skin, but whole door). Chassis/subframe is okay though, and it's only one car, not 4 different ones stitched together... Phew!

So the insurers are happy now, and I've changed from DirectLine to HIC (cheaper, and better cover).

All I need to do now is get it up to Derby for a "Vehicle Inspection Check" so the DVLA can issue my V5C document.

At least now I can get those Eibach ARBs in the Group Buy with a clear conscience!