V5 into my MK2?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by lildubber91, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lildubber91 Forum Member

Hi

Im currently trying to source an ABF engined donor vehicle for an over winter conversion into my mk2 valver.
    Then, on my search I came across a low miler v5 Toledo just round the corner from me for pennies.
    I cant find anything on the forum and wanted to know if anyone has done this conversion before. I dont know much about the engine either - it appears it comes in a 150bhp or 170bhp version? Would I be right in assuming its a relatively heavy beast compared to the ABF?
    I just fancy doing something a bit different so wanted to get some opinions

Thanks

2. nealey Forum Junkie

It will be heavier compared to an ABF, think generally people dont bother with it as a conversion as its heavy, doesnt have amazing power and isnt easily tuned without spending serious money. Also its about as involved as a 24vr6 conversion which wouldnt be that much more to convert to and is a better base

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Later models had 20v engines which IMO seem quite lively. Read than they go well with forced induction on vortex. Its different from the the norm anyway.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

It's essentially a VR6 with a cylinder lopped off...

I'd guess at similar weight and dimensions with proportionally less power.

As a middle of the road engine I don't think many tuners do a lot with them

5. lildubber91 Forum Member

Thanks guys!

Do you know what year the 20v v5 came in over the 10v v5?

Nealey, for those reasons I can see why 90% of people would go down the ABF and VR6 route. For me though, I'm not one for massive amounts of power and speed. Id like to build something different thats more of a cruiser, than a track weapon. My Kr is on its way out and the old girl needs a bit of life injected into her.
    It would make complete sense to go for the 24vr6, buts that why I dont fancy it so much. Which is exactly the same reason I brought a 20yr old car and consequently became addicted to dubs - that didnt make sense either when you need to drive 500miles a week [:D] Thats what its all about for me - why? why not I say!

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the later V5 were 20v, i cant remember the year

they are popular in the US, ang germany, but it not a common swap into a mk2.

i looked into it a while ago, with a turbo added on for good measure, tuning parts arent common, however many VR6 parts fit. i wanted that whistle bang quattro sound from my mk2!!

7. Breadfan83 Forum Member

This car has a V5 in it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliververheij/3611337861/

[​IMG]

It belongs to Cor of MIVW.

About the V5... it's an awesome engine. Driven a bunch of cars with the 170hp V5, and it's way better than the V6 imo. The sound is just sick, a lot more "grunt" than the V6 has.

Simple way to check if it's a 150 or 170 is to check the badges. The one with the silve 5 is a 150, the 170 has a red 5 in the V5 badge.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. lildubber91 Forum Member

Thanks again people

It's good to hear the differences in opinion. It's pretty clear that it would make no sense going for the 150 over the 170. Nice pic ther breadfan - nice one.

Im gonna keep my eye out for a suitable donor. Downside, is that most vehicles that Iv found are still reasonably expensive for the purpose of a donor when compared with teh availabilty of the ABF and VR6 donors. Looks like Il have to get lucky with a wrecky!

More opinions would be good - will post again in the furture if and when this actually happens. It gets more appealing by the minute.

9. lildubber91 Forum Member

AZX appears to be the engine code to look for, for the 170 engine. Came in late 2000 I think. Found in the Audi A4, Seat Toledo and VW Passat/Bora and Golf, so quite a selection to choose from.

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^ well you say that but hardly anyone bought them as you dont really get performance nor economy!

11. Lonoco New Member

better bet buy my SEAT Ibiza 2.0 16v write off. Excellent engine and box ready for the mk2 conversion. Let me know.

12. nealey Forum Junkie

A4 and passat are different engines to what is found in the bora, golf and toledo and will need a lot more work to fit so dont bother with them

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'm all for somthing different. Go for it. The V5 do go cheaper than the 1.8T and are usually better spec'd for the price. Most have leather etc. Could probably sell off the higher spec extras.

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

15. Lonoco New Member

For the prices of those engines only, better value to do an abf i reckon. My engine, gearbox(02a) and wiring loom including all components is just over half the price. Can organise shipping too.

16. lildubber91 Forum Member

Nice one G-Man..Forgot the Beetle! looked at those links..I reckon thats quite a lot. Still works out better to get the whole vehicle. There are some low miler Seat Toledos going for near a grand. If you buy the engine separate, by the time youve got the box/loom/ecu, etc,and other bits its gonna come to that easy.
    Plus you can see the engine running and drive the car whilst you save up the pennies for other bits and peices.

Lonocco, the ABF could still be on the agenda. Whats the milage on the engine?

17. Lonoco New Member

100k. I drove the car for a while until the tax ran out. Very good drive but has heavy rear quarter damage just behind door and not worth repairing. Was going to swap into my 90 spec 8v but changed plans. All i want off the car is front brakes, wheels and interior. Let me know or PM me for full price. Engine/ steering subframe bolts in too as it's mk3 golf just different rack and already has the SEAT clutch hydraulic to cable system.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  18. rath366 New Member

Roy Allen from Autobarn in Basinstoke has just carried out this very conversion on his wifes car a 1990 Mk2 from a seat toledo. Try giving him a bell (01256 398828) or failing that if you can bear it, visit the
    e38 forum and search for mk2 V5 and you will see his build thread

19. VAG

VAG Forum Member

5 pot noise out of a mk2 yes please iv been wanting to do this conversion for a long time, but i have to finish my 16vt first