V5 turbo thoughts?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by jimk04, Mar 4, 2011.

1. jimk04 Forum Member

I have an idea milling around my cerebrum and its driving me mad, I know its not new and has been done but I just fancy the idea of a V5 turbo in my mk2 (already TT engined).

So I'm thinking it would need -

Vr6 bellhousing style gearbox?
    Custom 5 branch turbo manifold.
    144mm/20mm uprated rods (x5!)

Would be nice to keep it OE looking so maybe 225TT style boost pipes, airbox, K04 blower?

I think there was a US mk4 or 5 that had been turbo's but I think it was the new 2.5 l unit only in the US market.

I dont know a deal abou the V5 but guess it would be bases on the 170hp 2.3. Or 150hp?

Anyone know what the head, valves, cams, inlet manifold are like for a turbo application?

2. degsgti1 Forum Member

I've got a mk4 v5 170
    they seem to be well known for being a bit choppy, lumpy at low revs...
    Don't know how that would affect a turbo application?
    Vr6 turbo sounds fun for a mk2? Are you fed up with the 1.8t

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It is possible. I saw on vortex that someone did one with good results. Would be a fist over here. Should be like a vr6 with a cylinder less.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Guys in Holland do them all the time both 10v and 20v variants.

5. jimk04 Forum Member

Not bored with the 1.8. Its just that a V5 drives past my place of work everyday with a meaty exhaust and a drilled airbox and it sounds ace.

With a blower would be double cool!

6. jimk04 Forum Member

I presumed all v5s would have the same valve count? I realise the inline audi 5s can be either 10 or 20v.

7. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

There are two engine types :

150bhp version - 10 valve

170bhp version - 20 valves

Much like the progression of the VR6 from 12v to 24v

8. degsgti1 Forum Member

10v until 2000 then they got a new cylinder head and 20v taking it from 150 to 170 bhp
    hth

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'd go for it. High power is possible I think.

10. jimk04 Forum Member

Just had a quick look on ebay and yeah I now see the difference - you can see the plug holes are in different positions.

Dont fetch mega money either.

It is just a pipe dream at the moment but I like the thought of it - I love the sound of a 5 cylinder - quattro stylee.

Be nice to use the new TT RS engine!

11. Benjo Forum Member

For the best v5 turbo build I've seen, look for a user on Vortex called Foffa. Here's one of his vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/foffa2002#p/u/29/Bf1bxDQnzWU

The exaust manifolds on both engines are fabricated tubular jobs from the factory, & they mount to the downpipe in exactly the same way as pg & pb exhaust manifolds - you can bolt a corrado g60 downpipe straight to the v5 manifold. So, shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a merge collector for the turbo. Scuttle tray might be in the way tho..?

Regarding the gearbox, you can use the v5 02J, vr6 02A, or a mildly modified 02M which has had the transfer box deleted (read up on this!).

There aren't any oem rear engine mount brackets out there, & the vr6 front engine mount bracket isn't a direct fit (pretty close tho). So you'll either have to fabricate your own rear mount bracket & modify a vr6 front engine mount bracket to suit, or chop up the chassis legs/subframe & retrofit the mk4 engine mount system like PAB did on his 20vt mk2.
    Personally, I don't like the mk4 mounting system. Having to take the o/s engine mount bracket just to change the aux drive belt seems a bit backwards.

The v5s don't sound as good as a proper 10v i5 audi motor, but they're close enough! Waaaay better than any 4cyl, anyhow IMHO!