V6 4motion

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by rick1.8t, Oct 25, 2003.

1. rick1.8t Forum Member

If the 4wd goes can it be expensive to repair?, i know it would be expensive to replace, how reliable is the 4wd system on them? Golf MK4. Could you put it to run on 2 wheel drive temporarily????????????

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

Well, its electronically controlled, so you would use that to switch it to 2wd if you wanted to (I dont know how but im sure its theoretically possible). But then the electrics are likely to be what goes wrong I suspect!

Why are you worrying about it? just buy one if you want one! I should think the engine and gearbox are more likely to be the cause of any probs anyway.

3. rick1.8t Forum Member

Why what do you mean by the engine and gearbox are more likely to cause problems? are they not as good as 1.8t?

4. rick1.8t Forum Member

??????????????????????????????????????????anyone.

5. MrBen Forum Junkie

Dunno about the reliability but not heard any bad things about the 4motion system. And having gone for my first trip in a Golf 4motion this morning, I now know I have to have one as my next car! BRMMM!!

6. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Nutter 4x4 is running teh same system as a 4motion on his.

He was launching it from 6-7k rpm all day last sunday in his 350BHp 20vt and it wasn't having a problem with it.

From my expirence the 4motion is a very strong 4WD system. And a lot stronger than the syncro system and tahst why, with teh help of 800G's my Rallye will have the 4Motion stuff as soon as poss.
    Edited by: RallyeVR6

7. Jeff Forum Junkie

I just meant that its unlikely to have a prob, no more likely than engine or gearbox, which would have the usual VW reliability (ie not perfect but pretty good!)

8. Mikedav Forum Member

Ive been TOLD its pretty much bullet proof as far as 4WD systems go? But some S3 owners pull out fuses to make it 2WD for a rolling road