Vacuum advance disconnected

Discussion in '8-valve' started by WaHoonigan, Jul 24, 2023.

1. WaHoonigan Paid Member Paid Member

Been trying to get my newly purchased 84 GTI running. She starts and dies off almost immediately.

I just discovered that my vacuum advance line is missing. there is nothing plugged into it at all.

Would there be any logical reason for this to be missing? I can't seem to figure out where it should be connected to once I get a replacement.

Sorry if this is a noob question

2. Martin 16v Forum Member

Potentially removed if the timing has been adjusted previously, it should connect to the vacuum point on the back of throttle body.

WaHoonigan likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Couple of photos, red circles show the line in question (not where my finger is). Vac hoses starts on the right vacuum nipple on throttle body and takes a T-piece off immediately before the vac sensor for the amber economy gauge light (circular shaped object to right with electrical connector to it) straight down to the distributor.

IMG_1949.jpeg IMG_1950.jpeg IMG_1951.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  4. Martin 16v Forum Member

That looks correct to me

5. WaHoonigan Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you Martin16v and Rustbuster.

the photos are super helpful. I’m trying to use the Manual and searching before posting but sometimes you just need that photo.

cheers

6. WaHoonigan Paid Member Paid Member

So…I went out to verify and it pretty sure I don’t see ANY of the lines and Ts that you show in photo. I’ll try to get an image or several to see if you all can see something I’m missing something

7. WaHoonigan Paid Member Paid Member

After further digging, I think most of the emissions system was removed from the car.

does anyone have a link for an 84 rabbit GTI? It’s the 8v 1.8

I see a handful online and in the manual but I can’t verify which is correct…so I’m building a puzzle without the box and without some of the pieces