Vacuum oil extractors, any downside?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by EZ_Pete, Oct 31, 2009.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'm thinking about investing in one of these things, as I like to change the oil quite regularly on both of our cars.

I know that one won't hold a sumpful, but it seems like no hardship to me to empty it a couple of times; compared with the proportionately higher price of the ones with higher capacity.

Getting a bit old and knackered for scrabbling around under cars if it can be avoided, so is there any downside to these things? Looks to me like one could potentially remove more of the old oil, as the end of the pick up pipe can be moved around, and suck from the very bottom of the sump.

Experiences with these type of things?

:)

Edit: Mods, please feel free to move this to the tools and equipment section, where it seems to fit better in hindsight.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've got one that I use BUT its a well known and slightly pricey PELA.

It holds 6L and can do a full oil change easily; the small 2L about will be a pain as you're going to have to keep watching it so it doesn't overfill, and guessing you will have to empty it twice to make sure it gets all the oil. With my 6L i can pump the beast up, and let it do its work whilst I change the air filter, pollen filter and spark plugs.

Downside is that some say it won't pick up the small 'bits' at the bottom which will only come through the sump plug. However I find that once the pump has extracted all the oil, i pour about 1/4L fresh oil in which takes more of the old oil out. There is a knack to make sure the pipe sits just at the bottom of the sump rather than push it too far down so it curls aroud the bottom.

All the oil changes I've done on my mk2 VR6 and 1.8T using one i always measure the oil extracted to make sure its extracted it all before changing the oil, and it pulls the full amount.

http://www.seamarknunn.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eseamarknunn%2ecom%2facatalog%2fSumpPumpsOilChangers%2ehtml&WD=pela&PN=SumpPumpsOilChangers%2ehtml%23aPL176634#aPL176634

Here's the one i've got and where I got mine from; its a bit pricey but i've had it for 3 years now and its starting to get tatty but its done me a solid 8 oil changes between my 3 cars i've had and also 2 further changes on my mates cars. So 3 a pop so far isn't bad as it saves a lot of time and in fact saves a lot of mess i found.

3. James_mk2 Forum Member

Never heard of these before, very tempted to invest in one!
    Although i often find you discover some interesting things when you get under the car to change the oil, although maybe that's more indicative of the state of my cars :lol:

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`ve used a friend`s one in the past, and it made the whole job so much easier.

Consider that most car dealerships these days have plumbed in extraction systems, so they don`t get their nice marble floors covered in oil... ;)

IIRC some new BMWs don`t even have sump-plugs...

5. Supercharged Forum Member

Does depend on the car and design of the engine sump but generally thay are very good.

I have one that runs off compressed air from machine mart - very good for 50

If you've not get a compressor then deffo get a Pela - worth the extra over the cheap ones!

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

Reckon I'll get one of the these Pela ones.

:thumbup: