Vag com 2+2 adapter

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by Collie, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

Just got an audi 80 thats 1991 so pre obd. I have vag com and 0bd lead. Just looked at the 2 +2 arangement for the older cars, i can get a lead for a mere 5.99 so i have ordered one.

just wondering if any of you chaps have used the 2+2 is it as useful as the more modern obd, does the 409 work just the same?

the car is for a banger rally so i want to be able to talk to it if it spits its dummy out half way up an alp.

are there any sytems to talk to?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Audi 80s do have On board Diagnostics, just that the data line, +ve and -ve are not in a J1962 connector.
    The data that come out of the K line in these would be considerable less and basic than later vehicles that started to update to 16pin diagnostic connector and transmit more PIDs.
    Basic VAGCOM lite will work yes.

3. Collie Forum Junkie

so worth having then,thanks

4. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

I needed a 2+2 for my '96 A6, which is right on the threshold for the 2 standards, as there's a cutout in the centre console for the later 16pin plug (just nothing in it - yet).

I guess it depends on the spec level as to weather there's anything on the end of the K-line - ECU perhaps, or climate control or airbags, dunno.. what's the spec of the car?

5. Collie Forum Junkie

pretty low, keep fit windows etc, just less to go wrong. noa/c either. just abs and electric mirrors

6. m1keh Forum Member

ABS and engine managament should be talkable.

7. Collie Forum Junkie

engine management is all i want really, its still on a dizyy so fault fining if and when it dies will probably be mechanical!

8. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Something I'll drop in here just for information (but not wanting to cause any confusion!) is that I used an eBay USB OBD dongle (one that's in a transparent blue casing) plus a 2x2 adapter on our Corrado 16V 9A, and before it would talk to the engine ECU properly and reliably I discovered (after some detective work with the oscilloscope) that a value of a pull-up resistor needed to be changed in the dongle. Talking to the ABS was always fine, but for the engine ECU I needed to modify the dongle.

9. Collie Forum Junkie

ahhh, that may be something to bear in mind. mine is also an ebay blue model.

is the change something a ham fisted dumb ass could do?

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah I could chuck up some images of what you need to do. Probably nothing to worry about at the moment, but if you find you can't talk to a Motronic ECU at some point it might be worth a try.

11. Collie Forum Junkie

thank you, had issues with a few seats with my cable, wonder if its the same issue.

12. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

One other thing that caught me out - some of the 2+2 leads aren't keyed, so it's possible to plug them up reverse polarity. Of the 4 different ways of plugging them up, 1 works properly, 2 do nothing and 1 will blow a chip in the dongle - Guess which one I found..

13. m1keh Forum Member

Some of the cars need the start baud changing to 9600 in the settings.

14. Collie Forum Junkie

oh dear

15. Collie Forum Junkie

Got around to using my lead today. Worked fine for engine but would not speak to the abs module,

not overly bothered about tht but any suggestions to get it working

16. pimpdriver Forum Member

I was trying to plug in my VAG COM to my 1993 Audi 80 TDI tonight but it kept saying baud rate was wrong.

How do I adjust it?