VAG-COM ignition faults - what do they mean?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Stu, Sep 11, 2009.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

I have a problem with my wife's Lupo 1.4 16v not starting. It's the 100PS AFK engine, just cranks over and over but won't start so tried to diagnose it with VAG-COM.

It shows two fault codes on the engine but everything else tests as ok:

00609 - Ignition Output 1
    26-10 output open intermittent

00610 - Ignition Output 2
    26-10 output open intermittent

I can clear them but each time you try to start the car they return. What do they point to?
    I've done some searching on the web about these faults but can't find any specific info.

I should say that the engine was making a nasty noise last week, but started and ran fine, so I started investigating under the bonnet - checking plugs etc so may have disturbed something to now cause an ignition fault. The timing belt looks fine, the compression tested as ok on all cylinders when it would run last week and the plugs appeared to be sparking.

Any ideas or references on where to look up what these codes point to? :thumbup:

Thanks
    Stu

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Supercharged Forum Member

swap the coil packs round and re-scan

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Thanks for the reply - not sure if it has coil packs though does it? I'm not too well up on more modern VW's so am probably wrong! Here's a pic of the engine:

[​IMG]

Seems to have a distributor type item on the end of the head with normal HT leads to the plugs, where would the coil pack(s) be?

4. Collie Forum Junkie

Have you scanned all the modules on the car.

Try 17 instruments, make sure the immob isnt givig probs.

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi - yes, I scanned all modules, including instruments, but nothing else shows a fault. Any more ideas? :)

6. Collie Forum Junkie

check the wiring to the ignition amplifier.[​IMG]

7. Collie Forum Junkie

sorry cut and paste image a bit poo

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Collie - much appreciated, I couldn't find anywhere that gave a meaninful explanation of what the codes mean like that. :thumbup:

Next question though predictably is where is the ignition amplifier...? [:$]

9. Collie Forum Junkie

on my golf its fitted to the air box as it has a heat sink on it, not too sure about yours.

10. Collie Forum Junkie

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Brilliant - cheers Collie, really appreciate it. Number 16/17 in that pic I presume, I will go out and investigate this aft :thumbup:

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Update - cleared the fault codes! Car still cranks over and won't start, but it's progress. :thumbup:

I removed the ignition amplifier from the transformer and the three connectors inbetween them were clogged up with oily gunge. Cleaned them out and reassembled, cleared the codes and tried to start it.

Then I got a fault about the immobiliser '17978 - Engine start blocked by immob P1570 - 35 - 00'

Locked and unlocked the car to reset the immobiliser, cleared the codes and tried to start it again - still didn't start but no faults are showing now. Hopefully this means it's not an electronic issue and is a more straightforward fix? Still not sure what though, going to check sparks and fuel delivery next...

EDIT: just tried it again and now getting '17978 - Engine start blocked by immob intermittent P1570 - 35 - 10' which doesn't stay cleared and returns each time I try to start it?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  13. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Right - big update:

1. Sorted immob faults by removing battery and shorting battery leads together (away from battery) for 30 secs, apparently this resets the ECU.

2. Checked timing again and bottom end to top end (i.e. cambelt) was way out... [xx(]

Set bottom end to TDC using a rod down plug hole #1 as before, checked top end and it was probably 45 degrees out, hence it not starting I expect. Sure this was correct when I checked it the other day but perhaps not. [:$]

Set the belt correctly and the car starts and runs, but sounds very rough. I think there has been some internal damage as the cambelt must have slipped a few teeth.

What next? Head off I suppse to check for damage as it definitely doesn't sound good... but at least it runs on a the plus side :thumbup:

14. Collie Forum Junkie

Ouch, hope its not too bad, If itss running cant be all that bad. But why has the belt slipped, worn tensioner maybe.