VAG race hubs / uprights

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by RobT, Nov 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Admin Guest

Thinking about it, having the LBJ further forward would result in the wheel turning different amounts from left to right, one way it would turn further than the other way for the same steering input, this would effect the toe when cornering. for good or bad? If the Motorsport items don't then maybe there is a reason why!

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Mk3 Golf / Mk2 Ibiza Group A uprights - would love a set of these, found some, but just too expensive to justify

(look like the same as those Mike pictured above, but anodised yellow)
    20130404_203205_zpseac759b8.jpg

p68445n1_zpsf70cd805.jpg

Drop pin is M12x1.5 thread.
    Audi S2 bearing.

VWMotorsport-style hub is remanufactured and now available new at 250Euro a pair.

3. Admin Guest

Hi Rob, where can you buy these? Are they anodised as well?

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

At 3K a pair, plus anodizing costs, bearings, hubs etc etc etc, they might as well come from fairyland lol

5. Admin Guest

Oh, I read your above post that the uprights were available for 250euro, but reading again, that's just the hub. Bugger! I was getting my money out I was that excited.

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I wish. Sadly not. I was once quoted 1000 notes per side to make some, without the design work, so i guess there is actually a lot of machine time in them, ontop of a large lump of ali.

7. thegave Forum Member

What makes the VWMS hubs... well, MS?

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Material removed to save weight, and a longer nose in middle to engage wheel more securely. Possibly a different spline in middle for using larger cv joints.

9. Ess Three Forum Member

Oh. My. Word.

:o

10. Admin Guest

I have been stewing over uprights for a long time.... I would love some aluminium light weight items that have bolt on hubs and bearings... Might end up designing some after I took some inspiration from Goodwood. I like these... Simple and achievable with the right tools and skills. :p
    92BED1F1-B770-440A-A53D-D37711CE62D4-1357-000002272245B880.jpg

Use a hub like this VW example.
    648d35f1a1caa7e6d953b367403a2bb4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

What model VW does that hub come from?

12. Admin Guest

From the add, I guess mk6 and mk7 run something similar. Anyway...

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Golf R upright (left) vs TT-RS (right)
    10lbs vs 6lbs (Mk3 VR6 is 6.3lbs)
    6964904700_ddd8fd16f3_o.jpg

http://www.rforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2641

TT-RS is much better optimised to run lower geometry, is MUCH stronger than Mk1/2/3 uprights, but as its ali, is no heavier than a MK3 VR upright. If I was building front suspension again, this is the way to go......modern off the shelf parts. Fit to Mk2/3 chassis with a Mk1 S3/LCR wishbone. Likely that there wont be many TT-RS's breaking though :(

14. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

RobT - My race season is only just starting here in NZ with my Corrado but I am starting to plan my suspension overhaul for next year.

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,22314.0.html - nothing too exciting.

Do you have details of these TTRS hubs and figment on Mk2/3. I am currently running mk3 vr6 stuff.

Will hopefully be going to a SQS box and shifter too as they have now changed the rules to allow them!

15. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I've got myself some Passat B6 hubs to play with after having a look at the ones on here :thumbup:. Look like they will do the job, need to run through the geometry etc. but on the face of it all ok. Then extend the ball joint mounting position, big brakes, some trick struts and relocated top mounts for some more castor - happy days. Should be a rock solid front end, looks like it could be a reasonably simple upgrade for big power MK1's once all the R&D is done.

My question is are there different wheel bearings/hubs that will fit. Ideally I'd use 4 stud hubs to make it simple but I'll be using different width tyres next season so no real problem if the hubs are different. My main issue is the CV spline size. I want to fit S2 outer CV's to match the Gemini shafts I have. The splines in the B6 hubs at the moment seem to be about 1mm too small. Maybe I could run B6 CV's and they will fit the Gemini shafts (same as Audi S2). Anyone know what the shaft spline spec is for a B6 1.9TDI Passat. I'll have to check what the S2 splines are, I have a few spares. Maybe MK2 TT's CV's have a bigger spline?

16. mec82 Forum Member

Good find with the Passat setup, I'd written the bit below before I googled it and realised it was double wishbone!
    sdaidoji-albums-tech-pics-picture3328-300px-double-wishbone-suspension_zps5e9e2521.jpg

Civic EG ang integra have double wishbone, sure it could be adapted with some imagination.

Get rid of the s***e McPherson altogether and have complete geometry control!

I'd like to have a go but just can't be bothered at the moment, engine to build first :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  17. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Not double wishbone, just a HD alloy body with an inserted strut body, similar to the TTRS above, only set for a higher ride height. Also similar to a number of works designs :thumbup: Should be a very strong/stiff/light set up.

I can't change the suspension type due to regs, if it came with McPherson strut it stays McPherson Strut! You have to work with what you have got, to a point.

The Passat parts are just more available than the TTRS etc. so it's just a matter of making some spacers/adaptors here and there (hopefully)

18. mec82 Forum Member

Maybe you could rework them to work as conventional hub carriers? Use some 4 stud hubs and pick some off the shelf bearings from a bearing supplier that are close. Then press some sleeves into the hubs and machine to take the bearing if necessary?

19. Porth New Member

Are you sure it is M12x1.5? And what is the cylinderical diameter of the bolt? 17mm to fit in the rose joint?
    Is the bolt centred to the upright at the cylindrical area or only by the thread?

20. Porth New Member

Does anyone have more detailed images of the uprights, that have been homologated for the Golf Mk3 Grp A at first?
    I'm especially interested in what they are based on. Std or plus axle uprights?
    g3grpahub1.jpg g3grpahub2.jpg g3grpahub3.jpg