VAGCOM Cable issues

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by Mike_H, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've had a couple of cables die on me lately, both when plugged into a mate's Audi 80 TDI, and had worked for years before that. Might be a problem with the car, or maybe the handler. One of the cables was borrowed from a mate on here, so need to replace that for a start.

This is mine...
    [​IMG]

I assume other people must have the occasional problem, so it might be worth trying to collect a bit of 'cable knowledge' on one thread. They're not all that cheap, so might be worth sharing.

In the meantime, I've taken my one apart, so here are some pics for the electronics experts... the soldered ends are a bit frayed and damaged, so I'm going to start with them. They're all still connected, but a couple of them are only connected by one or two strands.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone see anything else wrong with it? Doesn't seem burnt visibly, and no burnt smells...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'd also start with those connections, the soldering look dry (dull) which doesn't help with connections/wiring not looking great either!
    I have found with the cheaper made cables, and some cars require you to hold the connection in a certain way, with your touge out to connect - this seems to normally be when the contacts have opened up/been bent in the past not making a good connection

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Got round to re-soldering those connections last night. Will test and see if it makes a difference.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Didn't work :( Still the same issue as before.

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I've have known some of these to fail, but not done it myself. And usually it when you use a different version of the program.

You can repair them by reflashing the EEPROM but its alot of work and involves desoldering and getting a programmer.

Its not worth the hassle considering the cost.

6. m1keh Forum Member

First thing to check is does the cable get seen at all by the computer when you plug it in?

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

this was a comon problem with with old vag com leads when the the kline is shorted the +12v
    dose you mate have a after market radio in the audi

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yes, it says it can see the cable but it's not plugged into the car (when it quite clearly is plugged into the car).

@ Mushy, I've just got another lead and it works fine with the same old 2x2 K-Line adaptor, same car, same computer. Definitely the USB lead at fault.

I've got someone looking at this, through a mate. He replaced a blown LED and thought that was acting as some kind of fuse, but it didn't change the behaviour once the LED was replaced. He's now comparing the two blown cables with the working one now.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. MUSHY 16V

Mike did you ever get a screen asking you if you would like vdcs to repair the lead
    I've had this a few times when I've put the wrong lead in
    Once pressed yes by mistake and flashed my vag tacho lead
    Of course it don't work now

I wonder if this is what has happened and as it is a cloned lead and not a Ross tech lead it now dose not work
    Just a thought

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

I didn't get that, but the leads broke when I'd lent them to a mate. He didn't mention anything like that. I'll double check though.

11. MUSHY 16V

My lead did the same last week windows can't recognize it looks like it's lost the firmware somehow
    Looked at re flashing it but having to desolder as few bits put me off
    Will keep in case I get brave enough to try at some point

Just got a new one this week

Last edited: May 19, 2013