Vagcom/vcds?...timing sorted on audi

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by LregG, Dec 5, 2011.

1. m1keh Forum Member

It would be a little better with the pump advanced so that it is just above the middle line.

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

3. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Bigger nozzles 1st i would think, expensive though and may need vcds to adjust for extra smoke.

5. LregG

I have bosio pp520 nozzles but they are for a much later date...For the time being, I'm going to stop the EGR opening via vagcom using the info in the link you gave to stop the inlet manifold clogging up:clap:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. LregG

Had some time for a play this afternoon...

My copy of vagcom and the ebay lead allowed me to carry out adaptions on both my mk3 and my A3...no more egr opening....idle maf up from around 280 to 400mg/str on both cars

Also, after a very hard thrash in the A3, i finally managed to get it hot enough (85 degrees) to use the tdi timing tool and, well, err

[​IMG]

it looks like a large'ish tweak is required there, maybe even a tooth or two advance on the pump pulley perhaps lol...that would explain the circa 30mpg and the smoke at wot

7. m1keh Forum Member

Do you know when the cambelt was last done? If not I'd change it and make sure you use the proper locking tools etc not the tip ex mark method. Ensures it's right then.

8. LregG

I'll do the belt at the same time mike, i used the locking tools on the golf but that is still out a touch.

It will be interesting to see if the pump pulley is a tooth out on the audi...this car has had hardly any boost (vac pipe off and vacuum pump leak) and with the fuelling really retarded for at least four years!

9. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

timing way off the mark, but also fuel temp too high

go to the MVB with 3 temps in 1,3,4 possibly 5 or 6 this is fuel, air & water temps

fuel temp should be the first box and just above the water temp value from cold

I've just had to do mine on the mk4 engined mk1, the fuel temps started from cold at 80'c and then went up!
    temp sensor inside the fuel pump, not hard to replace if you have a spare one or replacment part to hand

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

also if your running the same sort of engine a whole tooth it won't start, minor adjustment off the vernier of the pump

11. LregG

AHF in the A3 and a 1Z in the mk3...both reading 130'ish on the fuel temps while being checked...this isn't right then? The only reason i ask is that the ross-tech website's demo of the tdi timing graph has a fuel temp of 132, as shown below

[​IMG]

Did you have a fault code set for yours?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  12. LregG

Had some time to sort out the fuel pump timing on the audi today....

[​IMG]

Got the timing value up from 6 to 62 on the vagcom tdi pump timing graph...what a difference!! Engine sounds as it should and pulls harder with minimal smoke

If i had thought about it, i should have checked the boost pressure before and after adjustment but i only did after on vagscope

[​IMG]

Seems i've never used it before, i'm guessing that that is around 1.4 bar over atmospheric as the yellow scale goes to 2500mbar??

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Seems 1.35 bar is standard boost pressure.

What was wrong with it?

14. LregG

The vernier setting was out on the pump...I've yet to do the belt (need to borrow a cam holding tool) but I wanted to see what it would run like with the pump timing within spec in the meantime

15. Collie Forum Junkie

do you need a full version of vag com to do this ?

16. LregG

I can do adaptions so I guess its a full version?? Go to engine controller, measuring blocks; block 000, basic settings, tdi timing tool and up pops the graph...it'll not plot the graph until coolant temp is above 85

I'll do a photo guide when I set the golf up as that's retarded too

The audi starts with a flick of a key now (used to seem like the battery was going flat) as well so well worth doing...the egr delete has made the golf pull more cleanly off boost (below 1500rpm)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012