Value for money tool sets

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by altern8, Jul 19, 2007.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

I bought the 150 peice tool kit from halfords for 100 in the sale life time garentee on all the parts, Great value for money :clap:

well recomended:thumbup:

2. nealey Forum Junkie

i bought one of them years ago, top piece of kit for the money and never given me any problems, in comparison i also have a set of 3 mac tools ratchets which cost the same as that kit and they give me nothing but grief

3. Supercharged Forum Member

The Halfords Pro stuff is great - about as near as you'll get to Snap-On without buying it...

I think they've changed some stuff from Taiwan to China now (looking at a couple of loose sockets I bought) but the quality is still good and you save loads on tools with a trade card...

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

with regard to the halford pro sockets, are they six siders?

i had to buy a new 18mm socket to finish off my poly bush change earlier this year, i got a halford pro item. despite being a bi-hex (12 point) it did pretty well. ive since got a totally new socket set, with all 6 siders. even after heavy use, the sockets are unmarked

5. Supercharged Forum Member

You get a mixture in the 150 piece set

6. Matt G Forum Member

do ya get ratchet spanner's in it?

7. Supercharged Forum Member

Only 3 but I'd recomend a set of the flexi-head ones they sell - cheaper than anywhere else...

8. nealey Forum Junkie

thats what i want next, some flexi head ratchet spanners, ive got fixed heads at the minute but want to splash out on some more versatile ones

9. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah - thay are bloody good as are the Dr eXtreme ratchets (72 teeth) so provide the same 5 degree movement as the Ratchet spaniels...

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

can they take the same abuse torquewise?

11. whitemk2 Forum Member

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the last socket set i got was a 1/2 drive laser set. 10mm to 22mm inclusive, normal 6 siders and matching deeps ones, and then it goes upto 32mm.

beefy sockets for a lot of abuse with lifetime warrenty thing. ive done some big jobs with it and theyve not even marked

clarke and laser seem to have the same range, so id guess the clarke version is just as good

13. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

Just got some flexi head ratchets from Halfords today, 10mm-19mm, 40 down from 60 on a special offer. The ones that came in my Halfords 150pcs socket set must be the most used and useful tools in my collection. I can't fault the quality and with a trade card I think you'd be hard pushed to get better for the money.

14. rickymk3 Forum Member

if anybody is near worksop nottinghamshire and doesn't have a trade card, send me a pm and i can meet up and get you the stuff cheaper, as i have both trade and staff discount cards.

trade is good for tools and mechanics stuff, ie fuel filter, oil filter you get what i mean.

anything else i can get you 15% off. not much i know but can equal big savings overall.

so much for hellfruads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. andy198712 Forum Member

i've got the halfords flexi head set and very impressed with it, use it all the time spannering on my ktm,

can take alot of pressure!

16. rickymk3 Forum Member

what i forgot to say the other day was..............

about the life time guarantee, what it doesn't tell you is that it doesnt cover moving parts, so dont use them the crack bolts off or use to really tighten bolts up, cause if the ratchet part or the spanner locks or breaks it aint covered.

just thougth i'd mention that.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

breaker bar takes all that sorta abuse though

18. Setone Forum Member

i've had a set now for about 4 years used its every day, at work and home. Touch wood i've not broken a single tool, there great i paid 150 for mine, worth every penny.

19. seanlikesfood

seanlikesfood Paid Member Paid Member

Guaranteed for life!!!

Guaranteed for life is a joke! I bought a socket set from halfords about 3 years ago from the proffesional range. The ratcheting mechenism has gone tits up and when I took it back they did not not want to know as I did not have a receipt.
    Who has a receipt from 3 years ago and plus it does actually say Halfords on it!!
    Lesson learnt really!

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

next thing i want is a hex and torx set so probably get something that will go with a nice 1/4 kit.

then i think ill get a clarke pro spanner set