valve issue at idle only

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Noo Noo, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Noo Noo Forum Member

Got a bit of an odd ball issue which has been giving me grief since day 1 of my 20v conversion. Just wondering if anyone else has come across anything similar and can offer any advice on the way forward.

I've got an AGU conversion with Emerald, K04 turbo and 440cc injectors.

From day 1 it's suffered with poor running and some pretty gross over fueling. Misfires a plenty too. Certainly no point in getting it on the rolling road as yet.

Having got it running a bit better through various bits of tinkering and finding a split hose we've now only got a misfire on cylinder no. 4 at idle. Give it some juice it clears. Coil pack is fine (checked and changed), injector is fine, plugs are fine and compression is also good. We've pulled the inlet manifold and you can feel plenty of suction on cylinders 1 to 3 but none on 4. Everything is as it should be, compression fuel and spark. It just won't fire at idle

Rocker cover off and its seems like one of the exhaust valves and the cam follower isn't behaving as it should. Almost as if it's preventing the valve from closing properly. Under pressure when more revs are given it closes giving good compression. Hard to explain.

We need to pull it apart some more to really pin it down but I'd certainly welcome some suggestions and ideas from people with experience with these engines.

Cheers

2. Noo Noo Forum Member

Just thought I'd close this thread out.

We changed the Tappets and it's all good. I've never come across anything like this before where the tappet was holding an exhaust valve ever so slightly open at idle. No compression there but it would close when under pressure.