Variations In Nos

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by fastflatfour, Apr 20, 2006.

1. fastflatfour New Member

hey guys with nos bein ever more available, just wondering wot differences there r between N2O, NO2 and even NO3 which iav been offered at a very low price, i know there r some geniuses ere i started readin the 2big intercooler thread, cheers

2. KieranC Forum Member

no2 is nitrogen dioxide, not gonna do your engine any good, no3 is nitrate which i believe is a great fertilizer....

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

go on http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/ and ask there,

the owner of the comapany will be able to help you out, he is on the forum alot,

also just reading through the threads will help you,

tim

4. fastflatfour New Member

mmm mayb he said N3O this guy works in a lab, we were kinda drunk and i shouldve realised NO3 was nitrate i measure that occassionly in my fish tank along with nitrite, as u can tell i aint ever thought about NOS

5. ZiG^ZaG New Member

NOS stands for Nitrous OxideS right? I always thought it was a combination of NO NO2 and NO3. What you measure in your tank is the ions of NO2 and NO3 i.e disolved nitrous oxides. You'll notice theres a plus or minus symbol after the NO2/NO3 on your test kits. Reminds me actually i need to check the levels in my tank.

I don't think its possible to make N3O or N2O if i recall my A level chemistry correctly (its to do with the number of bonds nitrogen will make).

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

NOS is Nitrous Oxide Systems - just a company name. N2O is the only one you'll be putting near your engine......

7. jc.. Forum Member

the others are all unstable and fairly nasty....

8. the chef Forum Member

Wizards of NOS are the guys to go with. I run there 100shot kit on my Rallye and my friend has it on his beach buggy... Indeed it is N2O 1nitrogen and 2 oxygen molucules.
    When heated to 300c it breaks appart allowing more oxygen into the engine and therefore more fuel too so it all runs faster.. I run cooler plugs as a result and a bigger fuel pressure regulator. The gas is at minus 129c and acts as a supercoolant to the air too so in conjunction with the intercooler its a lot of fun...

9. jc.. Forum Member

er...almost.
    N2 = 2 Nitrogen, an inert gas. O = 1 oxygen
    technically the %age increase in oxygen is not that much higher than an equal amount of air.
    The power boost does come from increased fuelling but the key here is the break down of N2O into N2 and O.
    for every 1 mole of N2O it breaks down into 3 moles of gas in the form of nitrogen and oxygen. The huge increase in gas volume takes place on compression and give the piston and extra large thump back down the bore.
    there are cooling benfits, but the basic principle is based on expansion.
    otherwise we would all be squirting a much more oxygen rich gas

10. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

No no no, you're all wrong. The principle benefit of NOS is being able to spray it out of your badboy-bonnet to really impress your 13y.o. girlfriend in the McDonalds carpark. Obviously [:[]

11. jc.. Forum Member

:lol:

I saw some window washer nozzles for sale in a chav mag that were precisely for that purpose, to highlight the watse of gas when you "purge your NOS pipes".....can't understand why you would want to purge your pipes...or how for that matter

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You purge them to release nitrous in the lines which has turned to gas, so that you have lines full of liquid N20, not gaseous....... the drag racers just dump it in a cloud out a purge solenoid.
    Not at the windscreen, mind - apparently it's no use at cleaning.......:lol:

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I used to have a great video of a 9-second Mustang (Fox body) which looked stock apart from the back wheels and bars......... Can't remember what he was racing, but just as he was coming up to the amber on the tree, he purged the lines (and had blue lights in the jets, to boot!) and shot off two huge jets of nitrous into the air.
    Would have looked gay as f*ck, except for the wheelstand and subsequent speed.
    Suppose you can pull it off if that's your thing, as long as you have the power to back it up.........

14. the chef Forum Member

I run a 12lb bottle it costs me 35 a fill because we use a Hospital size bottle about 8ft tall without a dip tube so its cheaper. To vent it to atmosphere is pure folley... Although I want to open the valve in a party lol that would be a laugh.....

15. fastflatfour New Member

how bout addin some helium to the mix, ta for the info, i now wot happens inside the cylinder and usin as cooling in the intake but no idea bout its N2O thingy r its cousins, so its def just stick to N2O

16. miggs2002 Forum Member

it has been a misconception for a while now that NOS is the product, so much so that in the film Fast and Furious it was refered to as NOS alot and the company Nitrous Oxide Systems complained so in the second film they refered to it as every thing but!

17. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

some very intersting comments !!!!!

18. Quasar Forum Member

Why did they do something THAT stupid, for crying out loud??? What kind of company doesn't want the free advertising for their product?????

just a journalist being all the time buggered to mention more of peoples' products...

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  19. KieranC Forum Member

^_^ sounds nasty...

I guess NOS didn't like it cos their name was being used but not in association with the company. if they'd said 'nitrous oxide systems' every time instead of NOS i'm sure they wouldn't have minded...

20. Quasar Forum Member

Still, it IS mention of a unique trademark... When the guy goes to ask about NOS, it is NOS he will get, not ZEX or NX or anything. Instead, when he asks for nitrous, he might be offered anything about the above... Same goes for googling. If he looks for NOS he will be directed towards exactly that company...
    And I have noted that the movie did a lot towards brand recognition. So, in my book, they just torpedoed a major source of advertising by asking their name not to be mentioned. It just does not make sense.