VDO gauges lots of questions and links

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by altern8, Apr 13, 2009.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Ok so I am battling to find a sender...

Could I use this

adaptor

And then use this?

Guage

Edit.... Actually I dont think so.

Can I just check that the thread on the VW is M10x1 and thats the thread that the sender will fit into?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the threads on VW are M10x1, thats the fitting you need on the sensor yes. have a look on audi ebay section should see em come up there from time to time

3. timah89 Forum Member

does anyone know how different this setup is for the VR6 engine, got mine all powered up but not come round to setting up the temp and pressure sensors/gauges yet as all the guides i can find are not for the VR and the setup on the VR oil filter housing looks rather different to that of the 4 cylinder engines?!?!?! heeeeelp

4. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220475

On top of the VR6 Oil Filter housing you have 3 sensors, High pressure (Not sure what colour), Low pressure (Normally Blue) & Oil Temp.

Im using this sender for the pressure, Assuming your gauge is a 5 bar one.
    http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=3265&xSec=1169
    REPLACE the low pressure sender with this one. (Its M10x1, Ive checked with them)
    This way you get 1 feed for the VDO gauge & one for the dash light.

With the Oil Temp, You have a couple of options. The way im doing it is buying sensor from Audi 049 919 563B (If your gauge goes from 60-170) and just doing a straight swap.
    Yes i do loose the MFA oil temp but not really bothered.

The other way you could do it is fit an oil sump temp plug, But you will need to drain the engine oil to fit this.

Ive just thought of another way too. You could fit a T piece to the filter housing (M10x1) and then fit both the Audi sensor and also keep the VW one.

A few things to think about:thumbup:

5. timah89 Forum Member

perfect, been searching for that answer all day....ended up coming to that conclusion in the end too. below is the post i ended up doing on the VR6OC website. i already have the Audi 5 bar pressure sender so gonna try that tomorrow. Also have the t piece on the way Monday hopefully so can wire up the temp sensor preperly then, but again willk take out the MFA tomorow and run it though the VDO to make sure all my wiring and everything works.

Presuming on the twin pressure sensor it does not matter which connector goes to which?!?!

this is the pic of the oil filter housing, is anyone able to advise how to wire it all up now?!?!
    [​IMG]
    this is the twin pole sensor
    [​IMG]
    i think i may have it worked out, brain is working like crap at the moment!!

So i presume that i take off the right blue pressure sensor wire, unscrew the current sensor and replace it with the twin pole, the blue wire then plugs back on to 1 of the connectors on the twin pole and the vdo sensor plugs on to the other twin pole connector?!?!? please say this is right?!?!

6. mat-mk3

On the nut of your sender it should have a few numbers. One of these will be somthing like 0.5-+15.
    If it starts with the 0.5 then you replace it with the low pressure sender, if it's higher then it's the high pressure sender.
    I would take a pic of mine but I left it at the unit.
    The blue wire is low pressure, yellow high & temp is Green.

You are correct in what you are saying. Well I hope so as I've not fitted mine yet!

Here is my thread from the corrado forum. I asked there because my engine is from a
    Corrado.
    http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=95957&start=0&sid=e4e9fc1a48a9f5f2414c405676c61df8

Edit, I couple of points i missed.
    I dont think it matters which pole of the sender you use, But i think one of them you connect to the "G" of the gauge. Unless the sender has a "G" on it too. Again i cant check mine.

If you connect the VDO to your current temp sender it will work but it wont give the correct temp, Just so you dont think its working properly or anything:)

There might be a washer when you undo the sender, Some replace it some dont. Mine is leaking slightly from it so i think i need a new one.
    In a previous life it had VDO's installed so the sender has been removed[:x]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. timah89 Forum Member

right set it all up....i think but the temp gauge is of the scale and so is the pressure gauge?!?!?!?!? what have i done wrong???

8. timah89 Forum Member

right just changed the wires over on the twin audi pressure sender and woohoo the oil pressure is now accurately reading and the oil warning light has kindly gone. Just cant get the oil temp to show right, it is still off the scale?!?!?!

9. mat-mk3

Good to hear. Does the pressure go full for a few mins and then settle down?

The temp won't work properly as you have a different temp sensor for your gauge. You need an Audi one, the PN is in a few posts above. This is if your gauge goes from 60-170.

10. timah89 Forum Member

yeah the pressure starts high then settles. i changed the temp sender for the Audi one that the gauges came with but it just shoots up and over teh 170 on the dial, so close to having it all finished too, grrrrrr

11. mat-mk3

Hmm, Thats a strange one. You are only connecting one of the gauges to it at one time right? Either the dash OR the VDO.

Did the sender in the filter housing have a gasket on it?

12. rubjonny

disconnect the wire from the blue sender, if it still shoots to max your gauge wiring is wrong or the sensor wire is shorted to earth somewhere. if it doesnt then the sensor you got is bust and you'll need to buy another

13. timah89 Forum Member

seems the sensor from the Audi was not working, put the VW original one back in and works fine now, temperature readouts are what i would expect too, did hit 130 when i thrashed the hell out of it yesterday racing some fool in his shiny new 5 series beemer, phah, nailed him!!

14. rubjonny

vw sensor isnt the right rating, so at some point you need to swap it for an new blue one. not that expensive either

15. timah89 Forum Member

any ideas where i can get the required temp sender from?!?!

16. rubjonny

try the local dealer, 049 919 563 B

17. timah89 Forum Member

awesome, will try and get it today then!

thanks

18. mat-mk3

Ahem...

19. timah89 Forum Member

i probably havent got time to get to a Audi dealer or VW dealer to get this part, any good websites you know of that sell them??

20. mat-mk3

Not seen it on any. Try EPC or GSF.

I got a price of 14.85 for it today from VW:thumbup: