Veg Oil

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by shaz8389, Mar 20, 2012.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Because I'm daft and found conflicting information but trust you guys, can someone give me a proper answer on if I can run veg oil (say fresh from my local indian shop) with a mix of diesel in my 1997 Audi A4 TDi with what I think we concluded with the AFN engine.

Going to modify my intake at the weekend and try and obtain a junk CAT from the breakers to empty and swap out for extra awesomes :-)

2. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Yes...I'm running a twin tank set up on my 1z tdi for maximum savings but you could get away with 50/50 mix

Change your fuel filter after your first tank has been used as the veg oil will drag all the fuel system debris up to the filter.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

From what I've read, as it gets warmer you can run a stronger mix and in the winter months you need more diesel due to the way that veg oil reacts.

So veg oil will also clean my tank? Will I see any effects on MPGs at all? It perform any worse in the long term?

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Another thing that's boggling my mind a little bit, do I need to filter SVO like you do WVO? Or am I being silly here?

5. Fishman Forum Member

No need to filter SVO.

A week or 2 after swapping to SVO you will need to change the fuel filter. SVO is a good detergent and will collect gunge in the bottom of your fuel tank and clog your filter - There is a suprising amount of cack in pump fuel.

After this has been overcome it should be ok.

Advice on using WVO...

I would filter the WVO to 1 micron if you can and also de-water it (either settle for weeks on end or heat to 60 DEG and allow to cool. The Water and crap will mostly drop to the bottom.

Settling this way can reduce the time to only a couple of hours.

Always filter the oil cold.

Avoid the car idling for too long - Better to switch off!
    Change engine oil every 5000 miles
    Blank EGR function either by using VAG.COM or pulling the plug on the solenoid

www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

has got so much info on this!

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member